by Gale Compton
This simple, yet delicious Garden Salad, is perfect for preparing the night before for tomorrow’s lunch or enjoy with dinner.
Recipe adapted from the book Hungry for Change. Visit Hungry For Change TV for more information.
Yields: 2 salads | Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups |Calories: 220 | Previous Points: 5 | Points Plus: 6 | Total Fat: 17.3 g | Saturated Fat: 2.3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 49 mg | Carbohydrates: 16.3 g | Dietary Fiber: 7.5 g | Sugars: 3.8 g | Protein: 4.9 g |
- 1 cup spinach, torn into bite size pieces
- 1/2 avocado, chopped (refrigerate the other half for another salad) (optional)
- 1/3 red onion thinly sliced (refrigerate the remaining 2/3 for another salad)
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- 8 almonds, sliced
- 1 cup sprouts
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 cup (chopped) roasted chicken breast, optional
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Sea Salt to taste
Add the salad ingredients to a large bowl and toss to combine. In a small bowl whisk together dressing ingredients and drizzle over salad. Serves 1. This recipe can easily be made into a family salad by increasing the ingredients.
Note: It's easy to prepare this salad for tomorrow's lunch by simply preparing your veggies the night before and adding to separate zip-lock bags. When it's time for lunch, toss all the veggies in a bowl, add almonds and drizzle with dressing.