by Skinny Ms.
It’s said that a journey begins with a single step. The same is true if you’re on the journey to build a body that looks and feels healthier. But, what happens when you literally take one step, and then just keep walking? Taking 10,000 steps each day will burn about 500 calories—in weight loss terms that translates into about one pound a week! Below we’ve listed some easy tips for getting started.
How to Walk 10,000 Steps a Day- 5 Can-Do Tips:
1. Invest in a Pedometer. This handy device measures how many steps you take in a day. The pedometer works by recording a step each time the hips move up and down. Some will also translate those steps into “miles walked” or “calories burned.” Find a model that suits your lifestyle, whether you need a simple clip-on or a pedometer smartphone app. Fitbit’s Newest Product: Flex, the Wireless Activity Wristband is highly recommended!
2. Make the Commitment. There’s no question that change can be hard. But walking 10,000 steps a day is one healthy-living habit that’s easier than you think. Start your commitment by setting a goal. Use the pedometer to figure out how many steps you take in a normal day, and then add about 1,000 to 2,000 steps every week until you reach 10,000. Keep track of your progress with our 30 Day Fitness Journal Challenge.
3. Just Do It. Walking 10,000 steps into the day isn’t as hard as you might think. Get closer to your goal by choosing to:
• Walk the kids to the bus stop instead of driving them.
• Take your pooch for a walk instead of letting him or her out into the yard.
• Walk to a co-worker’s office instead of emailing or calling.
• Park at the far end of the lot instead of a space close to the entrance.
• Walk the steps instead of using an escalator or elevator.
• Stroll during your lunch break instead of pinning Ryan Gosling. (Hey, we get Ryan too—• but walking is better for the body!)
• Invite a friend or neighbor to take a walk instead of chatting via text or Facebook.
• Walk the mall during hot, cold or rainy weather instead of lounging on a couch.
4. Set Reminders. Whether you use apps, wall calendars, or an alarm clock, make yourself remember that it’s time to get moving. For example, if you’re a desk jockey, set a reminder to get up once each hour and take a brief walk around the office.
5. Up the Intensity. Any steps are better than no steps, but you can maximize walking by boosting the intensity. For instance, raise intensity by climbing up a steep hill or walking on a sandy beach. Another way to increase calorie burn is by walking with 2-3 pound dumbbells. Learn more in 7 Moves for a Better Walking Workout. When that intense walk is over, replenish the muscles with these Quick and Easy Post Workout Foods.
Figuring out how to reach 10,000 steps a day isn’t too tough—but you do need to make the commitment, and you do need to get moving. So what are you waiting for?
6. Wear comfortable footwear. Enter to win a pair of your own Reebok Womens Skyscape Runaround, a shoe specifically designed for walking. Winner will be announced at 12 midnight on 4/18. *The contest has now come to a close and we are happy to congratulate our winner, Heather L. If you aren’t the lucky winner, you can still design and order your own Skyscapes here.
Skyscape shoes feature:
-Foam material in the upper for softness and flexibility
-Low-cut design for added mobility
-Seamless construction for minimized rub and irritation
-Unique architecture designed to support the foot and provide all-day comfort
-Minimal rubber accents only where needed for traction
-Skyspring technology – features a unique design architecture designed to help support the foot and provide all day comfort
-Super lightweight, only 5.0 ounces
So lightweight and comfortable, you forget you’re wearing them:
According to a happy customer:
“There is still a fluff of snow hanging around, so I headed to the mall, as these shoes are perfect for shopping. No need to worry about walking through slush in the parking lot, as the foam upper cleans and dries quickly.
They are so lightweight that you hardly know you have them on. The foam uppers retain their shape, breathe well, and stay looking new longer, than mesh shoes. The foot bed is supportive, with the textured bottoms lending stability. It’s almost like being barefoot, but with the protection of foam wrapping your feet in comfort.
After wearing boots all winter, these shoes feel like Spring Break for your feet!”