We’ve all had days when we need a lunch that’s sustaining and satisfying. If you’ve got a lot on your plate this week, consider making a batch of this protein packed Black Bean and Lentil Soup. It will keep your energy up for hours with its high fiber, high protein mix of black beans and lentils. A dash of cumin and chili powder, and you’ve got a flavorful lunch you’ll want to make a part of your regular healthy eating menu plan!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups | Calories: 248 | Total Fat: 4 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 1 mg | Sodium: 228 mg | Carbohydrates: 41 g | Dietary Fiber: 14 g | Sugars: 5 g | Protein: 13 g | SmartPoints: 7
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 sweet or yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup red lentils (green or brown lentils are optional)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt, more or less to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
In a large pot add olive oil and sauté garlic for one minute. Add diced onions and carrots and continue to sauté until onion is tender, approximately 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, stir and cover.
Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat to a simmer and cook until lentils and carrots are tender, approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
Also check out our amazing ebooks, filled with many more simple and tasty recipes. Have any delicious clean eating recipes that are just too good not to share? Let us know with a comment below!