Yields: 10 Cups | Serving Size: 1 Cup | Calories: 46 | Previous Points: 1 | Points Plus: 1 | Total Fat: 2 gm | Saturated Fats: 1 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 287 mg | Carbohydrates: 7 gm | Dietary Fiber: 1 gm | Sugars: 1 gm | Protein: 2 gm
- 1 (2 pound pumpkin or about 8 cups cubed) peeled and cubed (Sugar pie pumpkins are best if available)
- 1 apple, peeled and diced (recommend a sweet apple like Honey Crisp)
- 2 cups chicken stock, low-sodium (vegetable broth is optional)
- 1cup diced sweet onion
- AFTER COOKING, BLEND IN:
- 2 cups milk, low-fat milk was used in this recipe - Note: skim milk is NOT recommended (use more or less milk depending on thickness preferred)
- 1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
TIP: Every 1 pound of fresh pumpkin = 4 cups peeled and cubed pumpkin meat which = 1 cup cooked pumpkin
Cook the first part of the ingredients in your slow cooker on low for 4 hours. Recommend 4-6 quart slow cooker.
When the pumpkin is soft and cooked through, use a hand blender, immersion blender, or food processor to blend in the remaining ingredients.
Sprinkle a little cayenne pepper on top when serving, if desired.
*Fresh pumpkin is highly recommended, but for those wanting to use canned pumpkin, each 15 oz. can = 1-1/2 cups. You need about 8 cups total. So you need 6 (15 oz.) cans and you'll have a little left over. Just know that if you use canned soup, you really don't need to do this in a crock pot because all you'll be doing is blending ingredients and warming them. A pot would be easier. Enjoy!