Today is your day. If you want a fit and fab body—one that feels and looks healthy—you don’t need to wait for the sun to shine or for yoga mats to go on sale. Begin taking positive steps forward, right now. Here are 8 Good Health Habits You Can Start Today:
1. Set a goal. It’s harder to lose weight or gain control of your well-being without an endpoint to strive for. The goal doesn’t need to be big, perhaps the initial objective is to lose 5 pounds this month. Defining exactly what you want to do helps you figure out a path toward getting there. Start with small goals and work your way up to larger goals.
2. Focus on one bad habit at a time. One of the simplest ways to jumpstart good health is to start by replacing just one bad habit. For example, if you’re an all-day coffee drinker, make today the day you cut back. Try these 4 Tips for Java Junkies – How to Avoid Caffeine Withdrawal. Or if you typically surf the web after lunch, shut off that glowing screen and take a quick walk before you need to get back on the clock. Don’t wait until tomorrow. Start today.
3. Drink water. This is another super-easy shift that can make a significant difference in how your body feels. Water hydrates your muscles and brain cells, without the added sugar found in other drinks that bogs down the body. In fact, why not grab a water break now? Meet you back here in a minute…Got your H2O? Good. Let’s get back to the healthy habits you can start today.
4. Make time for your health. This is one challenge every busy woman struggles with—we take care of everyone else, from children to parents, at the expense of our own health. Put time in your calendar right now to take care of yourself, whether it’s scheduling an after-dinner walk or committing to a pre-breakfast stretch. No gym? No problem with these 10 At-Home Workouts.
5. Respect the schedule. It’s not good enough to add exercise to your calendar—you need to do it. You deserve to feel great about your body, so keep that appointment with yourself.
6. Move. Moderate or intense exercise is important for calorie burn and heart health, but never underestimate the power of simple movement. Take the stairs instead of the elevator; walk the dog instead of letting him run in the yard. Give your movement a kickstart with our fun 7 Day Fat Blaster Walking Challenge.
7. Go green. …with your diet, that is. Add more greens to your next meal. For example, order a salad with lunch or enjoy an extra helping of vegetables at dinner tonight. Interested in going totally meatless? Learn how yummy veggies can be with this Quinoa and Vegetable Stir-Fry or this Skinny Slow Cooker Chili- Vegetarian Style.
8. Learn to love sleep. Feeling fatigued makes it easy to give in to weight-busting bad habits, like mindless snacking. Proper sleep helps the body produce hormones that regulate hunger and feelings of fullness. Most adults need between 7.5 to 9 hours a night. Switch off the TV or smartphone and invest in feeling good—go to bed earlier tonight.
Don’t wait one more day to make your health and well-being a priority. Make the choice to be healthy—right now.