A fry that delivers green veggie goodness without sacrificing flavor.
French fries are one of our biggest weaknesses. Thick or thin, ridged or wedge-cut, the allure of the french fry is not to be underestimated, and the temptation to dunk those battered and fried goodies in ketchup can be irresistible. But, at Skinny Ms., we’ve learned that the best way to combat a craving for unhealthy food is to substitute it with a food that satisfies your craving by offering similar properties, like crunch, savory flavor, and snack appeal.
Enter our Asparagus Fries, which are incredibly good for you, and so delicious that you’ll want to grab a handful as soon as they’re out of the oven. We substitute fresh asparagus for potato, as asparagus delivers fiber, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that potatoes do not. These green, cruciferous stalks pack a crunch that outdoes potatoes as well. We coat them in flour, egg, and whole-wheat breadcrumbs. Make this batter even healthier by using whole wheat flour.
Bake these battered asparagus fries instead of deep frying them for a healthy fry recipe that is far lower in fat, calories, and cholesterol than traditional fries. Sprinkle a bit of Parmesan on them when you take them out of the oven, and serve. Adults and kids alike will enjoy munching on these crunchy, tasty treats.
- 20 asparagus spears hard ends removed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup whole-grain breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Dip the asparagus in the flour then shake off the excess. Dip it next to the egg then the breadcrumbs. Shake off the excess.
- Place them on a baking tray lined with baking paper then bake them for 10 minutes.
- Take them out of the oven then sprinkle the Parmesan cheese on top.
- Bake for another 10 minutes or until they are golden brown.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
More Easy and Healthy Fries in Skinny Ms.
Celeriac Fries with Spicy Dipping Sauce Recipe
On the Grill: Crisp Rosemary Fries with Low-Fat Aioli
We’re pinning the most delicious clean eating recipes on Pinterest and posting about fantastic workout challenges on Facebook. Don’t miss a thing! And stay informed by subscribing to our newsletter.
Let us hear what you have to say about Skinny Ms. Feel free to leave a comment about this post or any Skinny Ms. Content.