OK, hear us out. Carrots may not sound like the most exciting dish, but these roasted carrots will have you gobbling down an extra serving, and vowing to make this veggie side for dinner on a weekly basis. Sure, you can eat carrots raw. You can saute or steam them, or add them to a stir fry. We think carrots are delicious, no matter how they’re prepared. But roasting carrots brings out a sweetness and a depth of flavor that these root veggies don’t normally bring to the table. After just one roast, you’ll call this your preferred method of cooking veggies.
We coat our carrots in a healthy flavoring blend of balsamic vinegar, which lends a sweet, earthy taste, extra virgin olive oil, one favorite cooking oil for its versatility and heart healthy fatty acids, sunflower seeds, fresh thyme, which compliments carrots perfectly, and a dash of salt and pepper. Roast the carrots to bring out the flavors of each of these ingredients, and you’ll have a gourmet veggie side in just 20 minutes.
And you can feel good about enjoying these carrots with lunch or dinner, as they are packed with beta-carotene, a carotenoid that promotes eye and skin health. Carrots also have anti-cancer properties and lower risk of heart disease. Pair these root veggies with a beautifully prepared salmon, or a grilled chicken dish. They’re a versatile, delicious, and healthy side!
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 184 | Total Fat: 15 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 382 mg | Carbohydrates: 12 g | Dietary Fiber: 4 g | Sugars: 4 g | Protein: 1 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 2
- 1 pound baby (or regular) carrots, peeled
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar, no sugar or caramel color added
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- On a baking pan, mix the carrots with the extra virgin olive oil, half of the balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Roast for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Take out the carrots, shake the pan to move the carrots then add the remaining balsamic vinegar and the sunflower seeds
- Roast for another 5 minutes or until they are tender.
- Garnish with the fresh thyme.
More delicious carrot recipes to check out:
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.