This mouthwatering pesto features a prized superfood!
This combination of basil, spinach, pine nuts, and parmesan make for an amazing pesto that’s perfect for any occasion! There’s really nothing better than sharing a delicious homemade recipe amongst loved ones, especially when it is this tasty and such a classic. It only takes a few minutes for the ingredients to come together, creating a mixture with a rich flavor and beautiful presentation.
The Perfect Pesto
Pesto is a classic Italian sauce, traditionally made with fresh green herbs like basil and parsley, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, and parmesan cheese. It’s perfect over pasta dishes, with meats, or even when used as a dip. This basil and spinach pesto is delicious on artisan bread or served with fresh pasta.
An Antioxidant Rich Sauce
Our pesto recipe is a step above the rest due to the addition of spinach. Spinach is a fibrous and antioxidant-rich, leafy vegetable. When added to this pesto recipe, you’ll get an extra boost of vitamins A, B2, C, and K, which are important for maintaining bone health and immune function. It’s also high in iron, which is very important for the function of red blood cells and circulation. Along with other nutrient-dense herbs, pine nuts (which are packed with healthy fats), and protein from the parmesan, this sauce is not-so-surprisingly healthy and simply delicious.
Create this Sauce
You can have this recipe ready to go in just two steps! First, add all of the ingredients, except oil, to a food processor or blender. Pulse until they are finely chopped. Add oil and continue to pulse until smooth. Then, simply store the pesto in an airtight container in the refrigerator until you’re ready to use it.
You can add this recipe to your favorite pasta, which is what we’ve done here. Cook one (16-ounce) box of whole wheat spaghetti or Fettuccine according to instructions on the box. Once cooked, add the pesto and toss to coat! You can also use it as a dip or even a marinade for meats like chicken (try this Pesto Grilled Chicken Breast recipe). YUM.
Basil and Spinach Pesto
- 1 cup basil fresh, packed
- 1 cup baby spinach fresh, packed
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- 3/4 cup pecorino romano cheese grated, optional parmesan cheese
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Add all ingredients, except oil, to a food processor or blender, pulse until ingredients are finely chopped. Add oil and pulse until smooth. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add this recipe to your favorite pasta. Cook one (16 ounce) box of whole wheat spaghetti or Fettuccine according to instructions on box, add pesto and toss to coat.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Enjoyed this basil and spinach pesto? If so, you should also try these nutritious pesto dishes, next!
- Easy Pesto Salmon
- Pesto Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Pasta with Pesto Potatoes and French Beans
- Pesto and Egg Breakfast Sandwich
- 5-Ingredient Pesto Pasta Salad
And, of course, be sure to like our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources. You’ll be whipping up delicious dinners like this one in no time!