Make beans a part of your diet for increased protein, fiber, and nutrients!
Beans are rich in protein and fiber, excellent for kidney function, and are packed with minerals. Borlotti beans are typically found in Italy, and if you can’t locate them in your area, try pinto beans, their closest cousins.
Since it’s summer, we tried these beans in a cold salad mixed with barley, a nutritious whole grain. Don’t have time to cook beans? Try the canned or pre-cooked version, cook up your barley, and mix with the rest of your ingredients for a delicious seasonal plate.
Protein Bean Salad with Tuna and Onions
- 1 cup pearl barley uncooked (equivalent to about 4 cups of cooked barley)
- 2 cups borlotti beans pre-cooked, bottled or canned (can be replaced with pinto beans)
- 1 cup tuna canned, preserved in oil (preferably olive oil), drained
- 1 red onion big, sliced
- parsley fresh, finely chopped
- 1/8 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Over medium heat, bring a medium pot of 6 cups of water to a boil. When the water boils, add 1 teaspoon salt and the barley. Let it boil again then simmer on low-medium heat for 20 minutes or until tender. When the barley is cooked, rinse them with cold water, drain then set aside.
- Rinse and drain the borlotti beans.
- In a large bowl, mix the barley, beans, tuna, onion, salt, pepper, extra virgin olive oil and parsley.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you liked this recipe, you will love our other recipes with beans too:
Black Bean Burritos with Fresh Salsa & Berry Salad with Herbs
Mediterranean Three Bean and Corn Salad
Roasted Corn and Black Bean Tacos
Fava Beans with Garlic and Lemon
Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletterso you don’t miss out anything on Skinny Ms.
For more tasty recipes and healthy lifestyle tips, check out our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest.