Who doesn’t love a cheesy, crunchy quesadilla? They aren’t exactly considered a healthy choice in most circles. Luckily, we have remedied that with our Barbecue Chicken and Avocado Quesadillas. We skinnied up a traditional quesadilla with low-fat cheese and whole wheat tortillas, utilized avocado for a healthy fat, included plenty of chicken for protein, and added barbeque sauce for a nice zing of flavor.
Now, instead of being an unhealthy appetizer, these Barbecue Chicken and Avocado Quesadillas can be enjoyed as a whole meal. If you’re looking for something light to round out your meal, serve it with a nice salad, such as this Mango and Arugula Salad.
Watch this video to see how to make Barbecue Chicken & Avocado Quesadillas.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 quesadilla | Calories: 271 | Total Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 414mg | Carbohydrates: 24g | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 9g | Protein: 14g | SmartPoints: 9
- 1 large chicken breast, on the bone with skin
- 1/2 cup Barbecue Sauce
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, part-skim
- 6 (6-inch) whole grain tortillas
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Add chicken breast and 1/4 cup water to a small casserole pan, cover loosely with foil and cook 45 minutes or until cooked through and juices run clear. Allow chicken to cool until it can be handled, remove skin and discard. Shred chicken with a fork.
- In a mixing bowl, combine shredded chicken and barbeque sauce.
- Place one tortilla on a medium nonstick skillet and turn to medium heat. On one half of the tortilla, sprinkle with 1 heaping tablespoon mozzarella, add 1/6th of chicken barbeque mixture, 1/6th of diced avocado, sprinkle another heaping tablespoon cheese and fold the tortilla over.
- Cook on both sides for about 2 minutes or until the tortilla is golden brown and the cheese is melted.
Inspired by The Pretty Bee.