Most families have their own version of this delicious cornbread featuring chiles of some sort, cheese, and corn. Our SkinnyMs. Cheesy Mexican Cornbread uses whole wheat flour and low-fat cheese to slim it up a bit. But, of course, we still have those delicious chiles and corn! We also used just a scant amount of coconut sugar for a hint of sweetness.
We recommend cooking cornbread in a cast iron skillet, as is tradition, but a cake pan would work just fine as well. Serve this warm and slathered with butter for the best flavor alongside a pot of Chili or Chicken Enchilada Soup.
Yields: 12 servings | Serving Size: 1 slice | Calories: 162 | Total Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 27mg | Sodium: 192mg | Carbohydrates: 23g | Fiber: 2g | Fiber: 4g | Protein: 6g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (4.5 ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon onion, minced
- 1/2 cup low-fat Mexican blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together the egg, milk, and butter in another bowl. When everything is well-combined, pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold in the chiles, corn, onion, and cheese. Mix just until combined.
- Oil an 8-inch cast iron skillet or an 8 x 8-inch baking pan and pour in cornbread mixture.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are golden and the middle is fully cooked.
Other recipes you might enjoy:
What do you think of this Cheesy Mexican Cornbread? What do you pair cornbread with? Do you have a favorite version? Let us know in the comments section below!
Remember to follow us on Pinterest for more recipes like this one!