You'll love this warm and tasty addition to any soup, stew, or Mexican dish.
Most families have their own version of this delicious cornbread featuring chiles of some sort, cheese, and corn. Our SkinnyMs. Cheesy Mexican Cornbread uses whole wheat flour and low-fat cheese to slim it up a bit. But, of course, we still have those delicious chiles and corn! We also used just a scant amount of coconut sugar for a hint of sweetness.
We recommend cooking cornbread in a cast iron skillet, as is tradition, but a cake pan would work just fine as well. Serve this warm and slathered with butter for the best flavor alongside a pot of Chili or Chicken Enchilada Soup.
Cheesy Mexican Cornbread
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons coconut sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 4 1/2 ounces diced green chiles can
- 1/2 cup corn fresh or frozen
- 1 tablespoon onion minced
- 1/2 cup Mexican cheese blend low-fat, shredded
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Whisk together the egg, milk, and butter in another bowl. When everything is well-combined, pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Fold in the chiles, corn, onion, and cheese. Mix just until combined.
- Oil an 8-inch cast-iron skillet or an 8 x 8-inch baking pan and pour in cornbread mixture.
- Cook for 20-25 minutes, until the edges are golden and the middle is fully cooked.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Other recipes you might enjoy:
What do you think of this Cheesy Mexican Cornbread? What do you pair cornbread with? Do you have a favorite version? Let us know in the comments section below!
Remember to follow us on Pinterest for more recipes like this one!