There’s no sense in buying store-bought tortillas that are loaded with sugars and processed ingredients, when a healthier do-it-yourself option is so easy to make. This recipe for Clean Eating Whole Wheat Tortillas is the perfect addition to your favorite taco recipe. Fresh off your stove, they’re mouthwateringly delious and offer just the right amount of crunch. They may be made with only 100% wheat flour and natural ingredients, but you’d never guess that they’re healthy by their taste.
Yields: 12 (6-inch) tortillas | Serving Size: 2 tortillas |Calories: 350 | Points Plus: 11 | Total Fat: 19 g | Saturated Fat: 3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 258 mg | Carbohydrates: 40 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 0 g | Protein: 5 g |
- 2 ½ cups white whole wheat flour, or whole wheat
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup hot water
- In a standing mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, add the flour, olive oil, cumin, baking powder and salt, and mix on low.
- Add the hot water a tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together in a ball, about 5-7 minutes.
- Cover dough with a clean kitchen towel, and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball.
- Heat a large, dry frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Roll out the first piece of dough as thinly as possible. Place it in the hot frying pan, and cook until bubbled and browned, about 1 minute. Flip and repeat. Reserve.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
- Store tortillas up to 3 days in a paper bag, nestled inside of a plastic bag.
Get clean eating recipes, innovative new workouts, and healthy lifestyle tips delivered right to your inbox with our newsletter! And for even more SkinnyMs., check out our Facebook and Pinterest to stay informed!
We need your feedback! Go to the comments section to let us know what you think of this article, and tell us what you’d like to see more of!