The perfect balance of tart and sweet!
Pumpkin flavored baked goods may have the monopoly on fall breakfast, but apple is making a morning comeback. This cran-apple coffee cake is the perfect way to welcome a crisp fall morning. Apple coffee cake is a fall baking classic, but this cran-apple twist includes another seasonal fruit for a unique flavor. Whether it’s just you, or you’re having guests over for brunch, this recipe is the perfect treat!
Homemade and Healthier
Our cran-apple coffee cake is a sweet treat you can actually feel good about. We’ve swapped out traditional cake ingredients like sugar, butter, and white flour with cleaner, more nutritious options! First, this cake is sweetened naturally with apples, applesauce, and maple syrup. When you use naturally sweetened ingredients, there’s no need for additional sugar. Furthermore, the whole wheat flour and oats offer fiber, which will keep you feeling full, but will also aid in digestion. All in all, this delectable treat comes in at just over 250 calories per serving, making it a wonderful option for satisfying your sweet tooth in a healthier way.
Want to Make Our Cran-Apple Coffee Cake?
This warm, moist, and light breakfast treat will wow at a fall brunch or holiday breakfast. If you want to make it, you’re in luck– because it’s super easy to do!
You will begin with the cake. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit and coat a 9×13 inch cake pan with non-stick spray. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon in a mixing bowl and stir to combine. Grab another larger mixing bowl and combine the coconut oil, egg, almond extract, fat-free sour cream, maple syrup, almond milk, and applesauce. Mix these wet ingredients together until they are well combined and then slowly stir in your dry ingredients a little bit at a time. A few lumps are totally fine, you don’t need to over stir the batter. Fold in the chopped apples and cranberries and then pour the batter into your prepared baking dish!
Now, for the crumbly topping! Grab a small bowl and combine all of the topping ingredients. With clean hands, press the oil into the dry ingredients to create pea-sized crumbles. Once you’ve achieved your preferred texture, sprinkle the crumbs over your batter. Place the cran-apple coffee cake in the oven and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Check the center with a toothpick after the 30 minute mark. If it comes out clean, it’s done! If not, continue to check it every 5 minutes or so.
The Best Ways to Serve this Cake
So, how are you imagining yourself enjoying this scrumptious cran-apple cake? Curled up on the couch with a blanket, book and Skinny Pumpkin Spice Latte? Maybe on the porch with your friends enjoying it alongside our Mulled Cranberry-Apple Cider? Or are you around the breakfast table with your family? If the latter, you’re going to need some additional recipes!
Balance out the sweetness of our cran-apple coffee cake with this Slow Cooker Vegetable Omelette or our Skinny Breakfast Sausage . This Cracker Barrel “CopyCat” Hashbrown Casserole is another savory side dish option that will round out the breakfast table!
No matter how (or when) you enjoy this tasty treat, we know you’re going to love it! Enjoy!
Cran-Apple Coffee Cake
For the Cake
- 1 3/4 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil melted
- 1 egg large
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream fat-free
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3/4 cup green apple peeled and chopped small
- 3/4 cup cranberries fresh or frozen (thawed), roughly chopped
For the Topping
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil cold
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
For the Cake
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9 x 13 inch cake pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon. Stir to combine.
- In a second large mixing bowl, combine the oil, egg, almond extract, sour cream, maple syrup, milk, and applesauce. Mix well, gradually add the flour mixture to the applesauce mixture and stir just until combined. A few lumps are ok! Fold in the apples and cranberries. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth to create an even layer.
For the Topping
- In a small bowl combine all ingredients. Using your hands, press the oil into the dry ingredients to create pea-sized crumbs. Gently sprinkle over the top of the batter.
- Bake for 30 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms