Welcome the holidays with a guilt-free, creamy cocktail!
What’s the holiday season without a nice, creamy glass of eggnog? This creamy eggnog recipe is made lighter here and can be served with the rum or without. Sometimes it’s a challenge making egg dishes or healthy egg foods with less calories and cholesterol without resorting to egg substitutes. But a true eggnog needs true eggs. Here we’ve used real eggs, but added nonfat milk to make an equally delicious, warm, and creamy eggnog.
Made with only 100% clean ingredients, this recipe uses unrefined sugar, rather than refined cane sugar. Our recipe calls for maple syrup, but coconut palm sugar, sucanat, or any other natural sweeteners can be used. Vanilla, nutmeg, and cinnamon round out the naturally sweet flavor.
Creamy Eggnog can be served with any holiday dessert. Gingerbread cookies, our Crustless Pumpkin Pie, or a Pumpkin Raisin Oatmeal Baked Apple are just a few suggestions. Of course, it’s delicious by itself too.
Creamy Holiday Eggnog
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 whole eggs separated
- 2 cups milk skim or 1%
- 2 oranges zested
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or coconut palm sugar, or 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg freshly grated or ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 shots white rum more or less to taste, optional
- In a bowl, whisk together eggs yolks until they lighten in color, set aside.
- In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer and beat eggs whites until they form stiff peaks, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over low-heat, whisk together the milk, orange zest, sweetener, cinnamon and nutmeg, and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until steaming but not simmering. Slowly pour the egg yolks into the spiced milk, while whisking continuously and heat 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla and (optional) rum. Fold in egg whites, stir, pour into mugs and sprinkle with additional cinnamon or nutmeg.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.