Here’s another versatile recipe you’ll love! This creamy 3-cheese pasta filling can make your standard cheesy pasta lighter, yet still delicious. It works dolloped into Zucchini Ziti (use this recipe in place of the mozzarella and cottage cheese), or layered inside all types of lasagna including Skinny Lasagna Rolls. Yum!
The secret to the light, yet creamy blend? It’s really the cottage cheese that lightens it up, and the part-skim cheese helps as well. You can even use this creamy three cheese pasta filling in your own lasagna recipes, swapping out the heavier cheeses. Or, try it in recipes for baked ziti, spooning this healthier filling in for the usual heavy, full fat cheese mixture. This is also the perfect filling for cheese ravioli… and d0n’t forget to put spoonfuls as a topping on that next white pizza, like on our Fall Harvest Pizza in place of the goat cheese. Another goat cheese that this 3 cheese mixture can replace? The spread on the Roasted Pear Sandwich with Baby Spinach. Replace it with this 3-cheese mixture, if desired. The 3-cheese mixture can add cheesy creaminess to any hot or pressed sandwich.
The simplest way to serve this, though, is spread on toasted whole grain baguettes, garlic bread, or crackers, and the lush creaminess spread on crisp toast or crackers makes a wonderful snack, appetizer, or side to a soup or salad. It’s best warmed up.
Get creative with good ingredients! Putting together a recipe is like putting together an outfit, it’s easy mix and match, adjusting all of the elements until you find the results that suits your taste.
Yields: 12 servings | Serving size: 1/4 Cup | Calories: 152 | Total Fat: 9 gm | Saturated Fats: 6 gm | Trans Fats: 0 gm | Cholesterol: 35 mg | Sodium: 170 mg | Carbohydrates: 3 gm | Dietary fiber: 0 gm | Sugars: 1 gm | Protein: 13 gm | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 5
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese, low-fat
- 1 (8 ounce) package shredded mozzarella cheese, part-skim
- 1 (16 ounce) container cottage cheese, fat-free
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano, optional Italian Seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Refrigerate pasta filling until ready to use.
- Note: Fill favorite cooked pasta with filling, add marinara sauce, bake in a 375 degree oven until cheese is is hot and bubbly. Also, pasta with filling can be frozen in a freezer safe container for up to three months. Thaw in the refrigerator until ready to bake.