If you’re looking for a quick and easy meal that is flavorful and healthy, you’ll love this quick curried apple recipe that combines spiced fruit and nuts with healthy, whole wheat couscous. Chickpeas add a healthy dose of protein and fiber for a meal that is filling and delicious. The apples complement the spiciness of the curry powder for a unique couscous dish with toasted walnuts that comes together surprisingly quickly.
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: about 3/4 cup|Calories: 373| Total Fat: 10 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 12 mg | Carbohydrates: 60 g | Dietary Fiber: 9 g | Sugars: 9 g | Protein: 12 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 large apple, any variety, cored and diced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts
- 2 cups cooked whole-wheat couscous
- chopped cilantro and coconut flakes, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the onion and sauté until soft. Add the apple cook for a few minutes, until tender. Add the curry powder and stir, followed by the chickpeas and walnuts. Stir in the couscous, and serve topped with cilantro and coconut flakes if desired.
What’s your favorite healthy dinner option? Tell us about it in the comments section below.