Pamper your skin, holiday-style!
Red and white are traditional colors for the holidays. In this DIY recipe, we’ve put together an excellent treatment for your skin that’s infused with the holiday spirit! This peppermint body scrub is not only soothing to the skin, it relaxes your mind and body as the holidays approach. Plus, it’s beautiful to look at when stored. ‘Tis the season to pamper yourself.
Ingredients & Why They Work:
Granulated Sugar – Sugar, once known as “white gold”, was a luxury item due to its rarity. Although readily available now, we can still consider it a luxury due to all of the benefits it provides to our skin. Sugar helps draw in moisture from the environment, naturally hydrating skin. It exfoliates the skin and has glycolic acid, which helps break down old cells from aging and sun-damage, promoting young, new healthy skin cells. This helps bring a natural glow to your skin.
Coconut Oil – Coconut oil has an array of benefits for the skin. It helps clear acne, smoothes wrinkles, fades age spots, improves skin tone, prevents sagging skin, and, of course, it moisturizes.
Peppermint Oil – Peppermint oil has a wonderful smell and is a natural muscle relaxant and deodorizer. This is key for the full experience of the scrub.
Additional Ingredients – For a true holiday feel, you can use red food coloring or candy canes to add a red tint to your scrub.
What to Do:
1. In a large bowl mix 2 cups of sugar, 1/2 cup of coconut oil and 6 drops of peppermint essential oil.
2. The scrub should be damp to touch and not over soaked by the coconut oil.
3. Separate the scrub mix into two bowls once you’ve mixed everything.
4. If using the red dye, add a few drops into one scrub and mix until they are a red shade of your choice.
5. If using the candy canes, grab two pieces, and break them off into a pan holding 1/4 cup of water. Allow them to melt and once the liquid is red, allow it to cool of. Dispose of any left over pieces and slowly pour the liquid into one of the scrub mixes and mix until you reach your shade of choice.
6. You now have one white scrub mix and one red scrub mix. You know what’s next!
7. Grab a mason jar, spoon one layer of white in, followed by one layer of red, and continue to layer your mix in stripes until you’re all done!
8. Whenever you use the scrub, gently massage it on your skin until it disintegrates. When done slightly wipe the mixture off with a damp towel.
9. Not only is this a great scrub, it will look amazing anywhere you place it at home! You can store this at room temperature
Sources: Huffington Post, FruetCake
Check out some of our favorite holiday recipes. These are all for pleasurable eating. We’re fair:
Holiday Peppermint Fudge
103 Best Skinny Holiday Recipes
10 Low-Calorie Holiday Desserts
Creamy Holiday Eggnog