This rich and cheesy lasagna is sure to be a favorite with your whole family!
Lasagna is certainly a favorite in most households, but for those watching their carbs, it’s a dish to shy away from. Thanks to Eggplant Lasagna though, you can enjoy all the textures and flavors you love in traditional lasagna, without the high-carb pasta! Our Eggplant Lasagna recipe utilizes low-fat cheese to keep it skinny, adds lots of vegetables to increase the nutrient benefits, and omits pasta in favor of eggplant slices so it’s very low in carbs.
Our version is vegetarian, but feel free to add ground turkey or turkey Italian sausage if you want! This rich and cheesy lasagna is sure to be a favorite with your whole family—even the littles!
- 24 ounces marinara sauce jar, sugar-free
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion medium, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 cups spinach chopped
- 3/4 cup ricotta cheese low-fat
- 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese low-fat
- 1/2 cup cottage cheese low-fat
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon oregano fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon basil fresh, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 eggplants large, sliced 1/4 inch thick lengthwise (like a lasagna noodle)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly spray a 9X13 inch casserole dish with nonstick spray. Spread 1 cup of the marinara sauce on the bottom of the dish.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil on medium heat. Add onion, mushroom, and salt. Saute until onions are soft and begin to brown. Mushrooms will begin to release water—continue to cook until the water is evaporated. Add the garlic and spinach, cook until wilted. Remove from heat and cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, cottage cheese, egg, oregano, basil, and pepper. Combine well.
- In the casserole dish, arrange a single layer of eggplant on top of the sauce. Top with 1/4 cup of the cheese mix followed but 1/4 cup of the cooked vegetables. Repeat until all ingredients have been used; ending with a layer of eggplant on top. Pour remaining marinara on top and spread evenly, Finally, top with remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cover with foil, lightly sprayed with nonstick spray. Bake 20 minutes until cheese is melted. Uncover and cook an additional 10 minutes until cheese is lightly browned. Remove from oven and allow to set for 5 minutes before serving. Slice, serve, and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
You may also like to try:
What’s your favorite way to make lasagna lower in carbs? We’d love to hear from you in the comments!