An Asian twist on a classic side.
We’re always looking for new, delicious, and healthier twists to put on classic recipes, and our Green Bean and Meatball Stir-Fry is a perfect example of a twist done right. The same ol’ green bean side dish can get boring when you’ve had it time and time again. Our exciting new green bean recipe takes this dinner staple to a new level by throwing in some meatballs and Asian flavors.
Sesame oil, honey, soy sauce, and garlic offer just the right amount of zing with every bite. And, these “meat”balls aren’t meat at all. We’ve used lean ground chicken to help keep this healthy stir-fry recipe in line with your low-calorie diet goals. This is a dish you’re definitely going to want to throw into your dinner side rotation.
Green Bean and Meatball Stir-Fry
- 1 pound green beans stem ends trimmed
For the Sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1 1/2 inches ginger root peeled and minced (1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon lite soy sauce low-sodium, optional tamari
- 1 tablespoon mirin optional balsamic or red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup scallions sliced (greens, white bottoms reserved for meatballs)
For the Meatballs
- 1 pound lean ground chicken
- 3 tablespoons scallion whites
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat breadcrumbs or panko
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon lite soy sauce
- Bring a salted pot of water to a boil on the stovetop. Add the green beans to the boiling water and blanch for about 5 minutes, until bright green and slightly tender. Drain.
- Combine all ingredients for meatballs in a medium bowl, first stirring and then using hands to blend. Form meat mixture into 16 to 20 small balls.
- In a sauté pan over medium-high heat, add one tablespoon of olive oil and add the meatballs. Cook for about 8 minutes, or until browned on all sides and cooked through.
- Meanwhile, whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce until well-combined. Add in the green beans and the sauce and cook for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and sprinkle with the sesame seeds and scallions and serve. Enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms