A gourmet dish that's fit for the grill!
Does this sound familiar? You’ve just invited friends and family to a cookout at your place next weekend, but now you’ve found yourself at a bit of a loss for what to feed them! Hamburgers and hotdogs? Been there, done that. The routine BBQ Chicken that always seems to get scorched on the outside while it’s undercooked on the inside. Umm…maybe not.
How about adding a surprising gourmet touch that will make you famous for your skills at the grill, but it’s so simple you won’t even break a sweat? Sound good? If so, our Honey Chipotle Chicken Skewers are the perfect option!
These skewers are everything you’re looking for in a backyard-friendly grilling dish. Our recipe offers a blend of enticing flavors, clean eating ingredients, and an unexpected taste that will have your guests asking, “What’s in this?” Well, the answer is healthy flavor– and a lot of it.
What Ingredients Do I Need?
First, you’ll need some chicken! We suggest using boneless, skinless chicken breasts for their low fat and high protein content. Then, whisk together some honey for natural sweetness, tomato paste and apple cider vinegar for a tangy bite, chipotle chili powder for some heat, and garlic for a rich, savory finish. Each ingredient is healthy, and when combined in a sauce, the flavors complement one another perfectly. Oh, and did we mention it’s EASY?
Making These Honey Chipotle Chicken Skewers
The preparation process for these honey chipotle chicken skewers is incredibly simple. So simple, in fact, that they can be on the table in less than 30 minutes! Start by slicing your chicken breasts into very thin strips using your sharpest knife. Once all of the slices are ready, begin threading them, accordion-style, onto the wooden skewers that you’ve soaked in some water beforehand (so they don’t burn through). This recipe is for eight skewers, so you should aim to get about four ounces of uncooked chicken onto each one.
Set your skewered chicken to the side while you make the chipotle honey sauce. Grab a small bowl and whisk together the honey, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, chipotle chili powder, chopped garlic, and optional salt. Spoon the sauce evenly over the skewers. Alternatively, you can make the sauce in advance and marinate your sliced chicken in it for 30 minutes or longer before threading the strips on your skewers. Either way, make sure to save some of the sauce for basting during the grilling process.
Your uncooked chicken skewers can rest in the fridge (covered with plastic or foil) while you’re preparing your side dishes. That way, you can throw them on the grill right before dinner time so they’re fresh and hot off the grill! When you’re ready, add the skewers to a hot grill for 10 to 12 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked. Throughout the grilling process, baste the chicken with sauce, turning the skewers every 2 to 3 minutes. This will ensure the chicken is evenly cooked.
If the rain clouds come out and you’re forced to move inside, away from the grill, you’ll be glad to know that this recipe can also be prepared in the oven. Preheat it to 400 degrees. Cook them for 16-18 minutes or until fully cooked, rotating and basting every 5 or 6 minutes. If you like a little crisp on your sauced chicken, turn the broiler on and broil them for a minute or two once they are cooked, but be careful not to burn!
What Side Dishes Go With These Chicken Skewers?
Our honey chipotle chicken skewers will no doubt be the star of the dinner plate, but every star needs a supporting actor (or two!). Pairing a yummy main course like this with tasty side dishes will make this a meal to remember! Here are some recipes we suggest:
- Cilantro Lime Basmati Rice
- A Versatile No-Yeast Flatbread Recipe
- Baked Asparagus Fries with Creamy Chipotle Dip
What did your friends and family have to say after their first bite of our Honey Chipotle Chicken Skewers? What sides did you pair with this savory recipe? Let us know in the comment section!
Watch Us Make These Chipotle Chicken Skewers
Chipotle Honey Chicken Skewers
- 32 ounces boneless and skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup honey raw preferred
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 garlic clove very finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt optional
- Slice the chicken into very thin strips with a very sharp knife. Thread accordion-style onto wooden skewers.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, chipotle chili powder, chopped garlic, and optional salt. Spoon sauce over skewers.
- Add skewers to a hot grill and cook for 10-12 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked, basting with sauce and turning every 2-3 minutes to evenly cook the entire skewer of chicken.
- Alternatively, the skewers can be baked in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 16-18 minutes or until fully cooked.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you try this recipe and love it, we think you might also like to try these skewer and kebab recipes:
- Grilled Chicken Skewers with Peanut Sauce
- Spicy Grilled Pork Kebabs for the Perfect Summer Meal
- Orange Glazed Chicken and Sweet Potato Kebabs
- Grilled Salmon Kebabs
- Carolina-Style BBQ Chicken Skewers
- Grilled Chicken and Vegetable Skewers
- Quick and Easy Roasted Vegetable Skewers
- Low-Carb Coconut Lime Chicken Skewers
Have you made this honey chipotle chicken skewers recipe? Let us know what you think in the comments section!