You’ve just invited friends and family to a cookout at your place next Saturday, but now you’ve found yourself at a bit of a loss for what to feed them! Hamburgers and hotdogs? Been there, done that. Veggie skewers? Sure, you’ll load the grill with veggies, but what about protein for your guests? What’s a truly inventive, surprising gourmet touch that will make you famous for your skills at the grill?
Our Chipotle Honey Chicken Skewers are everything you’re looking for in a backyard-friendly, summer grilling dish. This chicken skewer recipe offers a blend of enticing flavors, clean eating ingredients, and an unexpected taste that will have your guests asking, “What’s in this?” Well, the answer is, healthy flavor and a lot of it. First, you’ll choose chicken breasts at the grocery store for their lean protein. Then, whisk together honey, for natural sweetness without refined, processed, or added sugars, tomato paste for a tangy, summery bite, chipotle chili powder for heat, and garlic for a rich, savory flavor. Each ingredient is clean, whole, and unprocessed, and when combined in a sauce, the flavors complement one another perfectly.
These can hang out in your fridge while you prepare the rest of your spread, and can then be thrown on the grill and cooked for just 10-12 minutes. Easy and quick, these are your summer grilling go-to from now on. Let us know what your friends and family have to say after the first bite!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 skewer | Calories: 192 | Total Fat: 8 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 56 mg | Sodium: 130 mg | Carbohydrates: 11 g | Dietary Fiber: 0 g | Sugars: 10 g | Protein: 19 g | SmartPoints: 6
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup raw unfiltered honey
- 1/4 cup tomato paste or sundried tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 1 clove garlic, very finely chopped
- SPECIAL EQUIPMENT: wooden skewers
- Slice chicken into very thin strips with a very sharp knife. Thread accordian-style onto wooden skewers.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, chipotle chili, and chopped garlic. Spoon sauce over skewers.
- Cook skewers on a hot grill and cook for 10-12 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked, basting with sauce and turning every 2-3 minutes to evenly cook the entire skewer of chicken.
- Alternately, the skewers can be baked in an oven preheated to 400 degrees for 16-18 minutes, or until fully cooked.
Make sure that you subscribe to our newsletter, so that you don’t miss out on anything SkinnyMs.!
We’d love to hear what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.