Slimmed down and Spiced Up!
Looking for a healthy casserole recipe? Try this scrumptious burrito pie casserole. Layers and layers are repeated, just like a lasagna, but with tortillas rather than pasta in this classic Tex-Mex dish.
What cheeses work well in this casserole? Any of the mild, melting cheeses such as a Monterrey Jack, Manchego, Colby, mild cheddar, or a mix of these. Any reduced fat versions of these cheese varieties will work. Buy grated, shredded, or grate it yourself for faster melting. You can even use shredded part-skim mozzarella if you love it.
We made our version healthier by using whole wheat tortillas and brown rice, rather than white rice and tortillas. If you want to make tortillas from scratch, try our whole wheat tortillas recipe. Home-cooked black beans can be used instead of canned black beans. You can puree beans in the blender or with a hand blender for “refried beans.” Simply add a touch of water or stock and stir if your bean puree is too thick. Many refried beans have pork fat added, but our bean puree is a low-fat, clean eating version, and does not. It’s quite flavorful without it. Of course, you can also purchase cans of nonfat refried beans. Just check the label to make sure that it only contains beans. Yet another option is to mash beans with a potato masher for a chunky bean spread with some texture.
We use lean ground turkey, but shredded or diced chicken breasts would also be delicious. An alternative filling that you can layer your casserole with is this Chipotle Taco or Burrito Filling. If you opt to use it, omit the salsa or use a small amount of mild salsa per layer, as the chipotle filling is already seasoned with chiles.
When making our easy Homemade Salsa, we used a red salsa, but a green salsa, or salsa verde would work if preferred. Salsa is rich with the health benefits of tomatoes and chiles. It’s delicious to when paired with a nonfat or low-fat sour cream, or a thick nonfat Greek yogurt as a topping. After cooking, sliced avocado can be added to the top as an option.
This casserole is so versatile, allowing you to get creative with it, just like you would with burrito fillings or taco toppings! Other yummy toppings for your Burrito Pie? Sliced olives and diced pickled jalapeno peppers (or sliced fresh ones) can be sprinkled after the casserole is cooked. Finishing with minced cilantro adds bright, fresh flavor and a nice green color, too!
Healthier Burrito Pie Casserole
- 9 whole-wheat flour tortillas Recipe for Whole Grain Tortillas
- 15 ounces refried beans can
- 1 1/2 cups salsa
- 1 cup Greek yogurt non-fat
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 pound boneless and skinless chicken breasts cooked and finely chopped (about 3), or 1 pound cooked lean ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese shredded, reduced-fat
- 2 cups brown rice cooked
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Spray a 9x13-inch baking pan with olive oil cooking spray. Pour 1/2 cup of salsa into the bottom of the pan and spread evenly. Add 3 of the tortillas so that they are slightly overlapping, add 1/3 chicken or alternatives, and 1/4 of the beans, 1/4 cup of cooked rice and about 1/2 cup cheese. Add another layer of tortillas and repeat once more, for a total of 3 layers. Spread only salsa and cheese on the top layer.
- Cover your pan tightly with foil and heat for approximately 30 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbly.
- Spread Greek Yogurt on the top to serve, or serve it on the side. If desired, sprinkle with cilantro just before serving.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Like what you see? Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms. Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter.