Sure, carrots are great, but have you tried bacon?
One of few foods you can eat for every meal, I’ve always been a round the clock bacon fan. On the side with eggs, piled onto a sandwich or candied for dessert, bacon makes everything better.
I’m sure not everyone loves bacon as much as I do, but I’ve never found anyone willing to admit it. As far as I’m concerned, bacon is a universal good.
That said, there are still plenty of reasons people (including myself) may want to lay off the greasy gift from the gods. Whether you’re looking for a vegetarian version or just trying to cut some fat and calories, these baked carrot chips are a great alternative to the savory classic.
Now, stay with me for a second here. I know carrots may not sound like an adequate substitute when all you can think about is a thick slab of bacon. But these savory carrot strips really do mimic that rich, salty bacon taste.
A major health upgrade, these baked carrot chips are also much easier to cook than traditional bacon. Between all the smoke and hot grease, pan frying bacon can be a huge hassle. For a while, I even gave up frying bacon altogether and just switched to the microwaved stuff. Not ideal! Fortunately, these easy oven baked carrots get you that quality bacon taste without the smoky kitchen and minor grease burns.
And even if you’re still not totally sold on carrot strips as a bacon substitute, these baked carrot chips still make for a healthy and flavorful snack.
Tahini, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil and dijon combine for a rich and zesty bacon flavor. Meanwhile, a super convenient bottled miracle called liquid smoke finishes this recipe off with that classic, smoky bacon taste without the smoke filled kitchen.
You can whip up a batch of these baked carrot chips in just 25 minutes. Start by preheating your oven to 400 and spraying a baking sheet with nonstick spray. Then simply combine all the ingredients (minus the carrots) in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth.
Add your carrots (sliced thin into “bacon” strips) to the sauce and toss to coat thoroughly. Then just lay your carrot strips in a single layer on the prepped baking sheet. Bake for ten minutes, then flip each strip over and bake for an additional five to ten minutes. When complete, your baked carrot chips will be lightly brown and crispy, just like bacon.
Whether you’re a vegetarian looking for a cure to some lingering bacon cravings or just a carrot lover looking for a flavorful new snack, these baked carrot chips are a healthy twist on your favorite. Eat for a healthy snack, breakfast, or serve for a fun and tasty appetizer.
A salty and savory treat, these baked carrot chips will hit the spot for bacon lovers and snackers alike. If you like these carrot chips, try out some of these other clean snacking recipes:
Yields: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/4 cup | Calories: 85 | Total Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 189mg | Carbohydrates: 9g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Protein: 1g | SmartPoints: 3
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce, optional Bragg's Liquid Aminos
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke, recommend Cedar House Liquid Smoke
- 2 large carrots, sliced into thin strips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray or line with parcment paper and set aside.
- Using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice the carrots lengthwise into thin strips. Be sure not to push too hard so the carrot strips don't break.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except for the carrots and whisk until smooth. Brush both sides of the carrot strips with the mixture.
- Spread the coated carrot strips in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes and remove from the oven. Turn each carrot slice over and return to oven. Cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned and crisp. Cool slightly before removing from pan.
- Leave uncovered until completely cooled. Store and cover loosely, at room temperature
For more tips, tricks, and healthy lifestyle inspiration, sign up for our newsletter.