Let the ice cream man drive on by!
Summertime is for being outside and having fun in the sun! But after an hour or two outdoors in the heat, it’s usually time for a cool down! And while jumping in the lake, ocean, or pool can help, nothing beats a sweet, ice-cold treat. Instead of running out to the street when you hear the ice cream man’s jingle, learn how to make healthy fruit popsicles instead! These yummy homemade ice pops slash sugar, fat, and calories by keeping it au naturel.
Naturally Sweetened Treats that are Flat Belly Friendly
Fruit and water: That’s it. Seriously, that’s all you need! Of course, choosing which fruits to use is the hard part. Luckily, you can create as many combinations as you’d like. It’s totally up to you, but we do have some tasty recommendations:
- Try ripe bananas with blueberries, or strawberries, or both.
- Blend some pineapple chunks and kiwi slices for your popsicle molds.
- The sweetness of peaches pairs perfectly with tart raspberries.
- Apples and oranges go extremely well together.
- And, my personal favorite: watermelon, blackberries, and a sprinkle of fresh basil.
Pretty much any combination of fruits that you choose to use will leave you with a calorie count of fewer than 100 calories per treat. Can’t beat that, right?
Making These Healthy Fruit Popsicles
Once you’ve decided on your fruit combinations, the rest of the process is incredibly simple. Add two and a half cups of fruit to a blender and add two cups of water. Save some chopped, sliced, or diced fruit for a finishing touch. Then, blend the mixture until it’s a smooth consistency (or to a consistency of your liking).
If you own popsicle molds, divide the mixture evenly into the molds. Small paper cups will work in place of popsicle molds, and you’ll just peel the paper off after freezing. Whether you’re using popsicle molds or paper cups, leave a half-inch or so of space at the top of the molds.
Before you put the popsicles in the freezer, add some of the remaining, unblended fruit to add texture. Then, place a popsicle stick in each one and stick these flavorful, summer treats in the freezer for about four hours, or until they’re frozen solid.
The Perfect Dessert for Any Summer Occasion
From lazy summer days to backyard cookouts, holiday celebrations, and birthday parties, these healthy fruit popsicles will be a hit. They’ll cool you down and satisfy your sweet cravings in a healthy and natural way.
You can even customize the colors to match the holiday or birthday party theme! Fourth of July? Blend strawberries and add some whole blueberries to the tops of the molds. A princess theme party? Use fruits that match the princess’s dress!
When the weather is warm and the sun is shining, there’s no better treat. But hey, they’re great for rainy summer days indoors, too!
How to Make Healthy Fruit Popsicles
- 2 1/2 cups mixed fruit sliced, try mixing and matching any fruit of your choosing (apples, bananas, strawberries, watermelon, kiwi, etc)
- 2 cups water
- Blend 2 cups of fruit and water until smooth
- Pour into popsicle molds or tall cups, leaving about a half inch to the top
- Add the rest of the sliced fruit to each popsicle mold
- Place a popsicle stick in each mold and freeze for 4 hours, or until it’s hardened
- Remove from freezer and gently remove popsicles
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
If you enjoy our healthy fruit popsicles, we think you might also like to try these low-calorie warm-weather treats: