If you’ve never lived in the South, there’s a good chance you’ve never had a fried pickle before. You should actually count yourself lucky, in some ways. They’re definitely not too healthy for you, but they’re craveably good. Personally, I’m completely addicted to this fun and funky appetizer! Luckily for you, we figured out a way to make a skinny version that doesn’t skimp on any of the flavor with these oven-fried pickles.
These crispy, crunchy, little bites are loaded up with tangy pickle flavor. The best part about our oven fried pickles recipe is that you can use any pickle you have in the fridge. We think dill pickle slices work best, but you could use bread and butter pickles or sweet pickles instead. If you have spears, you might want to cut them down to size (but, then again, it could be fun to have some long and skinny bites!).
And, since we’re skipping the deep-frying, you’ll get a healthier, guilt-free version of this Southern classic. Instead of using fryer oil, we crisp up the breaded pickle slices in a hot oven. This means your oven-fried pickles won’t have any added fat, but you’ll still get an easy-to-make, crunchy, and satisfying snack. Sounds just about perfect to me!
How To Serve Oven-Fried Pickles
The classic way to serve oven fried pickles is as an appetizer with a nice aioli dipping sauce. Aioli is another one of those things that aren’t necessarily super healthy, but we always have a solution for such problems! I would definitely suggest making the skinny aioli recipe from this roasted artichoke recipe. We use Greek yogurt, instead of mayonnaise. That keeps the fat content down without sacrificing any of aioli’s characteristic flavor.
If you’re feeling adventurous, serve these oven-fried pickles on a sandwich. You can use them in place of any regular pickle on any one of these 10 healthy sandwich recipes. They will still have all the tangy flavor of pickle slices, but you’ll get some extra crunch from the breaded coating. It might be a little decadent, but remember – you’re making a guilt-free “fried” recipe. So, you don’t have to worry about it!
Check out this video to see how to make the recipe:
- 1 (16 ounce) jar hamburger sliced pickles, dill work best
- 2 egg whites
- 1/2 cup Panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with non stick spray and set aside.
- Drain the pickles and pat dry. Place the egg whites in a small bowl and lightly whisk. In a medium bowl combine remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Place the pickles in the egg white and then the Panko mixture pressing the Panko into the pickle to ensure both side are coated. Place the coated pickles in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 minutes, remove from the oven and turn the pickles over. Return to the oven and bake 10 more minutes until crisp. Serve hot with your favorite dipping sauce.
We love to transform our favorite comfort classics into clean versions that promote healthy eating. To get all the latest and greatest delivered right to your inbox, simply use this link to subscribe to our newsletter. Or, if you prefer a newsfeed version, follow us on Facebook or Instagram.