This Instant Pot Mexican Black Bean Soup hits the spot. Black beans are packed with protein and fiber, so they keep you full and satisfied. They’re also inexpensive, so they’re a ingredient to reach for if you’re on a budget. The beans aren’t the only nutritious ingredient–chili powder, cumin, and paprika have antioxidants and can help improve digestion. Plus, they’re as rich in flavor as they are in nutrients. You can add your favorite toppings to this zesty soup. Greek yogurt, avocado, and lime are all great options. Make it your own!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 294 | Total Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 830mg | Carbohydrates: 53g | Fiber: 22g | Sugar: 3g | Protein: 19g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 4 (15 ounce) cans low sodium black beans (or 2 1/2 cups dry beans soaked over night)
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 (16 ounce) can no-sugar added salsa
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Additional fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Place all ingredients, except for the additional chopped cilantro, in to the Instant Pot. Lock lid into place, ensuring the vent is sealed. Press the "Manual" button followed by the "Adjust" button to set the pressure to high. Set the timer for 40 minutes.
- The Instant Pot will preheat and start the time automatically. Once the 40 minutes is up, wait 5 to 10 minutes and manually release any steam and remove the lid. Remove the cilantro stems and ladle into serving bowls. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro if desired. In addition, toppings such as plain Greek yogurt or diced avocado can also be added! Serve and enjoy.
If you like soups with extra protein, try our Slow Cooker Tex-Mex Chicken Soup!