All hail the kale!
You will feel like you are lunching next to vineyards and olive groves, breathing in the fresh Mediterranean air, with this Kale Caesar Salad. It’s overflowing with rustic Italian ingredients like kale, romaine lettuce, farro, pumpkin seeds, balsamic vinegar, and anchovy paste.
Not fond of anchovies? This paste is found in most Caesar Dressings! Anchovies are in that Worcestershire sauce that we add to our meatloaf mixture and sauces, too. Try a touch of paste in your Puttanesca sauce and Caesar salads. No one will know anchovies are in there, but they will know the dish tastes good.
Baby kale is one of those great new ingredients on the shelves, that really helps in cooking, because it’s much more tender than your larger, chewier kale, and it’s ideal in salads raw, or even lightly sautéed. If baby kale cannot be found, a mix of baby greens such as mesclun, baby spinach, or baby arugula can be used. Just remember baby arugula is a little bit peppery on the palate, as opposed to the milder lettuces that were just listed.
Farro is an ancient grain used a lot in Italian and Mediterranean cooking. It’s used in this Farro Salad Recipe with Apples and Walnuts. It’s a little chewy and nutty and adds great texture to the salad.
Here are some other recipes you might like:
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad with Seasonal Vegetables
Spinach and Quinoa Salad with Feta and Dill
Caprese Quinoa Salad
Kale Caesar Salad
- 1 cup farro grain optional: grain of choice, sorghum grain or quinoa are good choices
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups baby kale leaves
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups romaine heart lettuce cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt non-fat
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese freshly grated preferred
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons whole-grain dijon mustard I used Country Dijon
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup or honey, optional
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper freshly ground
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Add Farro and water to a medium saucepan, cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until Farro is tender and water is absorbed, approximately 30 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before refrigerating. In the meantime, add pumpkin seeds and oil to a small skillet and toss to combine. Heat over medium heat until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Allow to cool at room temperature.
- Combine kale, Romaine heart leaves, and chilled Farro grain, and pumpkin seeds in a large salad bowl.
- Add dressing ingredients to a blender or food processor, and pulse until smooth. Refrigerate dressing in a glass jar with lid, until ready to use.
- Drizzle dressing over salad mix and toss to combine. Add additional Parmesan cheese if desired. Serve immediately!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite recipe from Skinny Ms.? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.