Get fit, Mediterranean-style!
The Mediterranean diet is one of the healthiest diet patterns in existence. In fact, UNESCO declared it an Intangible Cultural Heritage in 2013. The Mediterranean diet encompasses the traditional diet patterns of southern Italy, Spain, Croatia, Morocco, Portugal, Cyprus, and Greece. It involves the consumption of abundant plant foods, olive oil as the main source of fat, low to moderate consumption of fish, dairy (cheese and yogurt), and poultry, and low consumption of red meat and wine.
We prepared these baked tomatoes with vegetables native to the Mediterranean region, along with another healthy ingredient, quinoa. When regional ingredients work together, they create a wonderful aroma and a flavor typical of southern Italy.
Mediterranean Quinoa-Stuffed Baked Tomatoes
- 4 tomatoes big
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup quinoa uncooked
- 2 tablespoons capers rinsed and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley fresh, finely chopped
- 1/8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and halved
- Slice the top of the tomatoes then set them aside.
- Empty the tomatoes by carving the sides with a small, sharp knife then scoop out the pulp with a spoon or a melon baller. Set aside the pulp.
- Distribute 1/2 teaspoon of salt to sprinkle inside the tomatoes.
- Oil the baking dish with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Place the tomatoes in the baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, put the tomato pulp and liquefy it with an immersion blender.
- In the same bowl, add the quinoa, the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, parsley, capers, oregano, the remaining extra virgin olive oil and pepper then mix.
- Fill up the tomatoes with the quinoa mixture until 2/3 of the capacity of the tomatoes.
- Put half a garlic in each tomato.
- Put back the top part of each tomato.
- Bake at 395 degrees F for 45 minutes or until the quinoa is cooked through.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Mediterranean diet is very healthy. Here are other dishes that you might enjoy: