Everyone knows that homemade recipes are the best. And, when it comes to finding a hot chocolate recipe, homemade hot chocolate from scratch, with all natural ingredients, is the best way to go.
This homemade Mexican hot chocolate is a mix can be used a little bit at a time, and whenever a craving for warm, creamy hot chocolate strikes. Sometimes, people think of Mexican hot chocolate as having containing chili powder, but usually in most Mexican households, sweetened chocolate with cinnamon is used. It’s sold commercially under two main brands, Iberra and Abuelita. The chocolate can be dissolved in water or milk.
In this recipe for Mexican Hot Chocolate, we avoid refined cane sugar. We use cocoa powder, a natural, unrefined sweetener (options listed in recipe), and cinnamon, for that chocolate-infused-with-cinnamon distinct flavor. If it’s available, Mexican cinnamon, called canela in Spanish, is a wonderfully fragrant ingredient. American cinnamon is not as strong in flavor, but will work as well. Mexican canela can usually be found alongside other Mexican spices and chiles in some grocery stores.
This hot chocolate mix has a long shelf life. Put in mason jars with tags and give it for gifts, and it will keep through the winter.
For an extra creamy & rich hot chocolate, add 2-3 tablespoons of our Mexican Hot Chocolate Mix to 8 ounces of heated coconut milk.
Homemade Mexican Hot Chocolate Mix
- 3 1/2 cups coconut palm sugar optional, sucanat or granulated date sugar (or other dry natural sweetener of choice equivalent to 3 1/2 cups granulated sugar)
- 2 1/4 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon or Mexican cinnamon (canela)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- Whisk to combine the sweetener, cocoa, cinnamon, salt and cayenne pepper, and store in airtight containers.
- Our favorite hot chocolate is made with (canned) coconut milk which creates an extra creamy & rich hot chocolate.
- To serve, warm favorite milk in a saucepan over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the cocoa mix for every one cup of milk.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from Skinny Ms…
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.