Eating clean doesn’t mean avoiding dessert altogether. When we cut sweet terats from our diet, not only are we depriving ourselves of an indulgence we truly enjoy, but we’re more likely to fall of the healthy eating bandwagon hard, by picking up a pint of ice cream or a bag of sugary candy at the store! SkinnyMs. creates desserts that contain whole, clean ingredients, free of refined and processed foods, and natural sweeteners that keep the calorie count reasonable, so that you don’t have to feel guilty about indulging.
Apple strudel is a favorite of many of our readers, and we’ve concocted a clean eating dessert strudel that’s sure to become a regular in your dessert repertoire. Our apple strudel is made with vitamin and antioxidant filled apples, which are rich in fiber and great for you. Throw in ingredients like raisins and pine nuts, and you’re adding nutrient upon nutrient to this dish.
We’ve substituted raw coconut sugar, in a moderate amount, for refined white sugar, which helps to keep the calorie count low. And when made with whole wheat puff pastry, you’re enjoying complex, fiber-rich carbohydrates that are great for your blood sugar, your heart, and your waistline. Enjoy this popular Austrian baked apple dish on its own, or with low-fat vanilla ice cream. It’s simple to whip up, and will soon become one of your go-to recipes when your sweet tooth hits!
Yields: 8 servings | Serving Size: 1 pastry | Calories: 85 | Total Fat: 2 g | Saturated Fat: 0 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 20 mg | Sodium: 11 mg | Carbohydrates: 17 g | Dietary Fiber: 3 g | Sugars: 9 g | Protein: 1 g | SmartPoints: 4
- 2 (8-ounce) rectangular whole grain puff pastries
- 5 apples (choose the ones for baking), cored, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/8 cup pine nuts (can be substituted with other kinds of nuts)
- 1 tablespoon raw coconut sugar
- 1 organic lemon, zest only
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1 egg, whisked
- Icing sugar (optional), to sprinkle on top
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lay the puff pastry flat on the working table then divide it into 4 equal parts. Do the same with the second one.
- In a large bowl, mix the apples, raisins, pine nuts, lemon zest, sugar and cinnamon.
- At the center of each small puff pastry, spoon some apple mixture then close both ends and both sides to make a tight small log. Repeat the process with the other ingredients.
- Place each strudel on a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
- Brush each strudel with egg wash on top.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- When cooked, sprinkle with icing sugar on top and if desired, a scoop of non-fat vanilla ice cream on the side.
More amazing skinny mini desserts to choose from:
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.