After every workout, our bodies need to replenish. We hydrate, and then we choose a healthy snack to balance our electrolytes, allow our muscles to repair themselves with lean protein, and add some superfoods to make sure our bodies are fueled and working at their optimum level. Consuming the perfect workout snack within an hour of finishing our workout ensures that the protein and nutrients we consume are utilized efficiently. It’s important to remember that, along with fitness routines that have our hearts racing and our muscles pumping, we need to add meals and snacks to our diet that compliment our workouts and make sure we get the most of each lunge, squat, and minute on the elliptical.
But since we try to stay away from and prepackaged bars, at SkinnyMs., we make our own. And to take away the hassle, we’ve come up with a simple, no bake workout bar recipe! Fiber-rich complex carbohydrates, such as oats and raisins, are combined with protein-rich protein powder and peanut butter. Flax seeds and chia seeds add superfood power, while chocolate gives you a satisfying flavor.
Yields: 12 bars | Serving size: 1 bar | Calories: 333 | Total Fat: 18 g | Saturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0 g | Cholesterol: 1 mg | Sodium: 14 mg | Carbohydrates: 37 g | Dietary fiber: 5 g | Sugars: 19 g | Protein: 14 g | SmartPoints: 13 |
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup protein powder. Clean Protein Powder was used in this recipe
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (Enjoy Life was used in this recipe)
- 1/2 cup chia seeds or ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup lite coconut milk, (more or less as needed to reach desired consistency)
- 1/4 cup honey (raw honey if possible)
- In a blender, pulse 1 1/2 cups of the oats until a flour like consistency. In a large bowl, toss to combine oat flour, remaining 1/2 cup oats, protein powder, chocolate chips, chia or flax seeds, and raisins.
- Stir together in a medium bowl the coconut milk, peanut butter, and honey. Pour peanut butter mixture over oat mixture and stir until thoroughly incorporated.
- Spread mixture into a 9 x 9-Inch square pan or an 11 x 7-inch pan. Press mixture down and cover with a lid or foil and refrigerate overnight, or until they harden some. Slice into 12 bars and keep stored in the refrigerator.
Editors Note: This post was originally published June 13, 2015 and has been updated.