When was the last time you plunged your fork into a creamy, satisfying bowl of pasta alfredo? With an abundance of cream and cheese, most alfredo dishes are not exactly friendly to your heart, your waistline, or your energy level. That much fat and cholesterol can weigh you down in every sense of the word.
At SkinnyMs., we’ve made an effort to bring you some of your favorite qualities of your favorite dishes, but modified to cut back on fat and calories, and filled with healthy, clean eating ingredients. This healthy pasta dish is brimming with the savory garlic flavor and creamy goodness of alfredo, but since it’s done the SkinnyMs. way, it’s a healthy meal that you can enjoy without guilt.
We’ve combined low fat milk with Parmesan cheese and chicken broth for a sauce that is light, yet still creamy and comforting. And the unmistakeable taste of delicious garlic permeates this dish, so that each and every forkful is savory and delicious. We use this sauce to top whole wheat pasta, which makes the dish even more nutritious. If you’ve never tried whole wheat spaghetti, give it a whirl, literally! It’s nutty flavor may surprise you. It’s a delicious complex carbohydrate that adds fiber and nutrients to your pasta dinner.
Yields: 4 servings | Calories: 309 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Sodium: 220 mg | Cholesterol: 9 mg | Carbohydrates: 54 g | Fiber: 0 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 17 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 9 ounces whole wheat spaghetti or any long pasta
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, finely chopped
- Over medium heat, in a large saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, sautè the garlic until golden and fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the chicken broth, milk, pasta, salt & pepper then bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat, cover, then simmer until the pasta is al dente, stirring occasionally, about 17 minutes. Time depends on the kind of spaghetti you have.
- When it's cooked, turn off the fire then add the Parmesan and parsley. Mix well then serve while hot.
More Pasta Dishes at Skinny Ms.:
We love feedback! Head to the comments section to let us know what you think of this post, or what you’d like to see on our site.