Weeknights just got spicy!
This Southeast Asian One-Pot Black Pepper Chicken dish is a spicy and savory delight. You’ll find the flavors of ginger, soy, and garlic play off one another perfectly, building a ton of flavor in a short amount of time. And you’ll love the way the black pepper emerges as the star in this incredibly flavorful, healthy one pan dish.
Because this recipe only requires only one pot, clean-up is easier than ever! In fact, everything about this dish is simple. The prep only requires chopping a few veggies and whisking together a quick marinade. From there, you just need to choose your favorite pan and stir-fry it all up! Lean chicken is a healthy protein, and garlic and ginger are both known for their numerous health benefits.
This healthy meal makes a fabulous weeknight dinner that will have your kitchen smelling like a gourmet dream! Serve it up over brown rice or quinoa to create a complete meal packed full of protein. This One-Pot Black Pepper Chicken dish will have you asking yourself why you need take-out when you can make a healthier version at home!
An Optional Crispy Chicken Option
If you want chicken with crispier edges in your One-Pot Black Pepper Chicken, we can make that happen! In our regular recipe, we have you add the chicken and all the juices to the pan. This creates an immensely flavorful sauce, but the chicken will turn out soft. That definitely works if you’re looking for a quick-and-easy way to make dinner, but you can also make the chicken crispier if you have a little extra time.
To create crispier chicken, sear the chicken without adding the juices. Cooking the chicken in oil over medium-high heat for five to six minutes is all you need to give the chicken an added boost of texture. To keep the chicken from getting soggy when you add the juices, cook them down separately in a small pot. Once they’ve reduced by half, you can toss them with the crispy chicken and vegetables. This process creates another dish to clean, but it’s totally worth it.
Let us know what you think in the comments! We always love hearing from you, especially if you have any helpful tips for making this recipe the best it can possibly be.
One-Pot Black Pepper Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and cut into strips
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper freshly ground
- 1 inch ginger root fresh, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves peeled and finely minced
- 3 tablespoons lite soy sauce divided, optional coconut aminos, tamari or Bragg Liquid Aminos
- 3 tablespoons white vinegar divided
- 1 tablespoon coconut palm sugar or honey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Whisk together in a medium-sized bowl, half of the soy sauce, half of the vinegar, and the sweetener. Add the chicken and toss to coat. Place in the fridge to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Add oil to a skillet and heat to medium-low. Add the garlic and ginger and cook for 30 seconds, just until garlic is golden and fragrant, but not burnt.
- Add the marinated chicken with any juices in the bowl and cook for 3 minutes. Add the bell pepper strips, remaining soy sauce and vinegar, and black pepper and stir. Cook for about 10 minutes until peppers have softened and chicken is cooked through.
- Spoon chicken over or alongside brown rice or quinoa.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms