This slow cooker recipe for orange chicken is a clean eating version of this classic chicken dish. We’ve used freshly squeezed orange juice and zest, a little bit of garlic, and coconut aminos to create a bright and flavorful sauce to coat juicy bites of chicken.
Coconut aminos are dark, rich, and salty and contain 17 amino acids. Made from sea salt and coconut sap, they the perfect substitute for soy sauce, which has little nutritional value. Coconut Aminos can often be found at Whole Foods or neighborhood natural food stores, or online: Coconut Secret Raw Organic Vegan Coconut Aminos 8 Fl Oz.
We love making healthy slow cooker dishes during the week because with all of our different schedules, it’s nice to have something warm and delicious waiting for us when we finally get home! Just imagine how excited your family will be when they smell this amazing orange chicken when they walk through the door!
Try serving Slow Cooker Orange Chicken with a side of Wild Rice Pila
Yield: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup (approximately 1 chicken breast per person) |Calories: 262 | Total Fat: 8.6 g | Saturated Fat: 2.3 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 101 mg | Sodium: 630 mg | Carbohydrates: 10.1 g | Dietary Fiber: 0 g | Sugars: 5.5 g | Protein: 34.4 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 6
- 1.5 pounds chicken breast fillets, chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (pulp should be strained out)
- 2 tsp orange zest or zest from 1 orange
- ¼ cup coconut aminos (or lite soy sauce)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon corn starch or arrowroot or coconut flour
- ½ tsp red chili flakes (optional)
- Put the chopped chicken breasts at the bottom of your slow cooker. Slowly pour the orange juice over the chicken and then add the orange zest, coconut aminos and garlic. Give this mixture an extra stir.
- Cook on low for 6 hours (high for 3 hours). With 15 minutes remaining remove the chicken and whisk in the 1 tablespoon of flour to thicken the sauce. Fee free to add more/less flour until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add chicken back to the slow cooker, stir and coat chicken with sauce, and allow it to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with rice or quinoa and top with red chili flakes for a little extra spice!
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from SkinnyMs., check out our SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite SkinnyMs. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.