Tender chicken dressed up with fruity goodness
This slow cooker recipe for orange chicken is a clean eating version of this classic chicken dish. We’ve used freshly squeezed orange juice and zest, a little bit of garlic, and coconut aminos to create a bright and flavorful sauce to coat juicy bites of chicken.
Coconut aminos are dark, rich, and salty and contain 17 amino acids. Made from sea salt and coconut sap, they the perfect substitute for soy sauce, which has little nutritional value. Coconut Aminos can often be found at Whole Foods or neighborhood natural food stores, or online: Coconut Secret Raw Organic Vegan Coconut Aminos 8 Fl Oz.
We love making healthy slow cooker dishes during the week because with all of our different schedules, it’s nice to have something warm and delicious waiting for us when we finally get home! Just imagine how excited your family will be when they smell this amazing orange chicken when they walk through the door!
Try serving Slow Cooker Orange Chicken with a side of Wild Rice Pilaf
Slow Cooker Orange Chicken
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless and skinless chicken breasts chopped into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup orange juice freshly squeezed, pulp should be strained out
- 2 teaspoons orange zest or zest from 1 orange
- 1/4 cup coconut aminos or lite soy sauce
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot or coconut flour
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili flakes optional
- Put the chopped chicken breasts at the bottom of your slow cooker. Slowly pour the orange juice over the chicken and then add the orange zest, coconut aminos and garlic. Give this mixture an extra stir.
- Cook on low for 6 hours (high for 3 hours). With 15 minutes remaining remove the chicken and whisk in the 1 tablespoon of flour to thicken the sauce. Fee free to add more/less flour until you reach your desired consistency.
- Add chicken back to the slow cooker, stir and coat chicken with sauce, and allow it to cook for another 15 minutes.
- Serve with rice or quinoa and top with red chili flakes for a little extra spice!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.