This soup is packed full of vegetables and Southwestern flavor.
Every once and a while, I’ll stumble upon a soup recipe that’s so good I make it once a week. I’m the type of eater that gets bored with repetitive meals, so I usually keep a lot of variety in my diet. If I’m that enthralled with a recipe, you know it has to be delicious! This year, I found this Quick and Easy Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup for Two, and I can’t stop eating it. It completely blows me away with its simple combination of Southwestern ingredients. They work together to create such complex flavors!
It’s not just about the fire-roasted tomatoes (although, those are good, especially when you make them yourself). The Anaheim or Poblano chilies by themselves are just okay, nothing to write home about. And black beans are just black beans, right? Wrong! Once you simmer those things together with smoky cumin and coriander and top it off with fresh cilantro, you’ll come to realize that this soup is more than just the sum of its parts.
Get a Full Serving of Vegetables
In addition to all the protein and fiber you’ll get from the black beans, you’ll definitely get a full serving of vegetables with this Quick and Easy Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup for Two. It has a little bit of everything: pungent garlic and onions, soft carrots, spicy peppers, iron-rich spinach, and superfood sweet potatoes. Not to mention all the antioxidants from the herbaceous cilantro!
Even if you’re a red-blooded meat eater (like me), you’ll love this vegetarian soup. If you skip the optional Greek yogurt and cheese topping, this soup contains only plant-based ingredients. That makes it qualify for vegan diets, as well as dairy-free and gluten-free diets.
The other benefit of eating a vegetable-rich soup like this? It’s relatively inexpensive! The meat is usually the most expensive part of the meal, and since this is a vegetarian soup, it should only cost about $7 to make. Since you get two portions out of it, that means each meal is less than $3.50! You can barely get a fast-food meal for that price, and at significantly less nutrition, too.
Quick and Easy Slow Cooker Black Bean Soup for Two
- 15 ounces black beans can, drained and rinsed
- 14 1/2 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes can
- 1 cup vegetable broth low-sodium
- 1/2 cup sweet onion diced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 green chili pepper mild (such as anaheim or poblano), seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup sweet potatoes 1/2 inch diced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes optional for a spicy soup
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons cilantro fresh, chopped
- Greek yogurt for optional garnish
- cheddar cheese reduced-fat, for optional garnish
- Add all ingredients to a 2- or 3-quart slow cooker, stir. Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours, or until the carrots are tender.
- Stir in the spinach and fresh cilantro and allow it to wilt before serving. If desired, top with a dollop of Greek yogurt or reduced-fat cheddar cheese.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms