You’ve heard of one pot meals. This is a one casserole dish meal! Throw all of your ingredients into a large casserole dish, put it in the oven, and not only have you cut way down on your prep time, and your clean-up time, but now you’ve got a meal to feed an entire family, or leftovers for days! SkinnyMs. has thrown several nutritious, superfood ingredients into one dish, and we’ve baked up a healthy casserole rich in Mexican flavors that will please everyone from toddlers to adults.
The base of this dish is quinoa, a superfood for good reason. It’s a seed that mimics a grain, but retains the high fiber and protein of a seed, while delivering numerous vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Add black beans to the mix for a perfect chain of amino acids that provides you with protein and fiber that, when combined with quinoa, make for a meal that will keep you feeling full, satisfied, and energized.
Add that delicious Mexican flavor with salsa, cumin, and chili powder. Top your casserole with shredded cheese, but make sure to select the reduced fat variety. Your casserole will come out of the oven rich, hearty, and flavorful, and utterly guilt-free.
Yields: 10 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 342 | Total Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 8 g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 38mg | Sodium: 589 mg | Carbohydrates: 36g | Fiber: 10g | Sugars: 1g | Protein: 20g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 1/2 cup dry quinoa, pre-rinsed
- 2 cans black beans, drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups salsa, no-sugar added
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, reduced-fat
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- At quinoa in a pot with 1 cup water. Bring to a boil then reduce to a low-boil. Cook for 15 minutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Add to a 9 x 13-inch casserole pan the first 6 ingredients, stir to combine. Add salsa, water, and 3/4 cup cheese, stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Sprinkle the remaining 3/4 cup cheese on top. Loosely cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes, remove foil and bake an additional 5 minutes.
More Amazing One-Pot Meals at SkinnyMs.:
Like us on Facebook and get the skinny on new recipes and workouts straight from the source. And be sure to check out our Pinterest and subscribe to our newsletter for the best of the best in clean eating and workout challenges.
Speak your mind in our comments section! We’d love to hear your thoughts on this post, and on our other content.