Combining your ingredients in one large saucepan is a wonderful way to allow flavors to mingle! This Asian dish relies on soy sauce as a key ingredient. We used freshly-squeezed lemon to balance out the salty flavor. Adding fresh cherry tomatoes, baby corn, and chives gives this skillet dinner natural color and taste. The whole family will enjoy this home-cooked, healthy Asian meal.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 3/4 cup | Calories: 383 | Total Fat: 14 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 48 mg | Sodium: 355 mg | Carbohydrates: 42 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 2 g | Protein: 21 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 9
- 1 1/2 cups dry basmati or brown rice
- 2 3/4 cups water
- 1/4 cup lite (low sodium) soy sauce, optional Tamari
- 1/2 cup lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pound chicken white meat, strips
- 8 pieces baby corn or 1/2 cup regular corn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons chives, finely chopped
- Over high heat, in a medium cooking pot, mix the rice and 2-1/2 cups of water then let it boil. When it boils, put down the heat to the lowest, cover partially (leave about an 1/2 inch of opening) and simmer until the rice is cooked through. Note: if you can cook the rice hours ahead, it's better.
- In a small bowl, mix the soy sauce, lemon and the remaining 1/4 cup of water. Adjust the taste if needed then set aside. Over medium heat, in a large saucepan with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, sautè the chicken until cooked through. Pour the soy-lemon mixture and add the baby corn then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Separate the sauce, the corn, and the chicken in three bowls. Still in the same saucepan, pour the 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the chicken until golden brown. Season with the 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Again, take them away from the saucepan and put them in a bowl. In the same saucepan, pour the remaining extra virgin olive oil, then add the soy-lemon mixture and cook for 3 - 5 minutes or until it thickens slightly. Add the rice and mix well until the rice becomes brown. Move the rice to one side of the saucepan.
- Put the chicken to the other side of he saucepan and the baby corn on top. Turn off the heat.
- Put the tomatoes in one corner of the saucepan. Sprinkle with the remaining salt. Sprinkle the chives.
If you enjoyed this recipe, then you would definitely love our other chicken recipes:
Do you have a favorite Skinny Ms. recipe? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.