Sink your teeth into a slice of this smoky, savory pizza
When it comes to grilled pizza recipes, this dish made with classic pizza toppings takes the prize! Sweet basil, juicy tomato rounds, gooey melted mozzarella, and a zesty pizza sauce are all layered onto a crisp whole-wheat crust. Grilling lends that smoky flavor. Not only is our recipe for Grilled Pizza with Mozzarella, Basil, and Tomato a-m-a-z-i-n-g-l-y tasty, but it’s made with clean ingredients, too. Serve this recipe as an entreé, or slice it up into small squares to create the perfect mediterranean-inspired appetizer.
Recipe for Grilled Pizza with Mozzarella, Basil, and Tomato
For the Crust
- 2 1/4 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 3/4 cups water lukewarm
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon coconut palm sugar optional honey
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup whole wheat bread flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
For the Sauce
- 4 ounces tomato paste can or Homemade Tomato Paste recipe
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/3 cup olive oil extra virgin preferred
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- kosher or sea salt to taste
- pepper to taste
For the Toppings
- 1 mozzarella package low fat
- 1 cup basil leaves fresh
- 3 tomatoes ripe, cut into slices
For the Dough
- In a bowl, stir the yeast with the water and sugar. Once combined, let sit at room temperature uncovered for 5 minutes. The yeast should dissolve into the water. Next combine the whole wheat bread flour, white whole wheat flour, and cornmeal, and stir until all of the dough is combined.
- Next, sprinkle some extra bread flour on the clean counter or a flat surface. Knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Coat the inside of a large bowl with olive oil and place the dough inside. Turn the dough so that it gets coated with the oil as well.
- Now, cover the dough and bowl with a towel and set it in a warm place until the dough grows to twice its size. This will take about an hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface. You can divide it in half for 2 pizzas for easier grilling.
- Brush oil on the bottom of an upside-down baking sheet and lay the crusts on it. Lift up the dough gently by the edges and place it directly on the grill. The oil side should be touching the grill. When the dough gets bigger and the bottom gets crisp and has grill marks, after about five minutes, brush the top of the crust so it's coated with oil and flip.
For the Sauce
- Meanwhile, Combine all of the pizza sauce ingredients, and stir well. Add salt and pepper to taste.
For the Toppings
- Once the dough is flipped, spread the sauce in the center, leaving room at the edges for the crust.
- Now add the slices of mozzarella, tomatoes, and basil leaves. Drizzle with an additional tablespoon of olive oil. Loosely cover the pizza with foil. Cook for an additional 5 minutes to melt the cheese.
- Remove the pizza and allow to cool on a flat surface until it can be handled. Slice and serve.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
For more delicious and nutritious recipes from Skinny Ms., check out our Skinny Ms. Recipe Collection of 101 Fan Favorites.
Do you have a favorite recipe from Skinny Ms.? We’d love to hear about it. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.