This ricotta dish can be eaten as dessert or as topping on toasted bread for breakfast or snacks. It uses only three ingredients, which are all rich in flavor. Ricotta is an Italian whey cheese. It is low in sodium in and in fat, and low-fat versions are sold which are even lighter!
Dark honey, although not as commonly used in the U.S., has a more intense flavor that enhances the ricotta. It is also more nutritious than light honey, with more vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. A good example is buckwheat honey, which has the most antioxidants among its kind. With just three ingredients in this dish, you will be sure to enjoy this whey cheese without feeling guilty about the fat.
Yield: 4 servings | Serving Size: 1/2 cup plus toppings | Calories: 277 | Total Fat: 13 g | Saturated Fat: 6 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 38 mg | Sodium: 53 mg | Carbohydrates: 26 g | Dietary Fiber: 1 g | Sugars: 18 g | Protein: 16 g | SmartPoints: 11
- 16 ounces (about 2 cups) low-fat ricotta cheese
- 4 tablespoons honey (buckwheat is the most nutritious kind but you can use any kind)
- 4 tablespoons ground pistachios
- Transfer the ricotta to the serving plate upside down. You can put each 1/2 cup serving into a 1/2 cup size measuring cup and then empty onto the plate that way if serving individually.
- Drizzle the honey on top.
- Sprinkle the pistachios.
- This can be eaten as dessert or it can also be spooned on top of toasted bread and be eaten for breakfast.
Here are more delicious recipes with ricotta:
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.