Not a fan of working out? Maybe it’s too time consuming. Or, is it that you can’t seem to put yourself through physical torture for 60 minutes? Like it or not, working out is beneficial for your health. But you shouldn’t have to feel horrible doing it! We have simple ways to burn fat that will keep even the most resilient people in check.
While the body needs fat to stay healthy and strong, it only needs a certain amount. When we carry too much, it hinders healthy body function, and can result in various health issues, including life-threatening ones.
In fact, a 2016 study published by Annals of Internal Medicine, which focused on men and women age 40 and older, found that a person’s mortality risk is increased by a higher body-fat percentage — independent of BMI.
But if you have zero interest in waking up an hour early to hit the gym, then what you need is a little insight onto just how simple it can really be to get a good sweat, make lifestyle tweaks, and melt the fat away in no time.
Eat and drink to burn fat
Are you surprised that the first thing on this list isn’t about working out? While exercise plays an important role, burning fat isn’t just about getting your heart rate up and your muscles stronger.
Here are some easy-to-follow simple ways to burn fat through food and drink:
- Eat clean. It’s not rocket science that fast food isn’t helping you to burn fat. But what should you eat? The simplest way to eat “clean” is to only reach for foods made from 100 percent whole ingredients. Check out this Whole Foods Shopping List.
- Eat enough fat. Wait, to lose fat you have to eat fat? While it may seem counterintuitive, the answer is yes. Your body requires fat to maintain function. The type you choose is essential. Learn the difference between good fat and bad fat.
- Drink green tea. If you’re a tea lover, you’ll be happy to know that research has found it to be a major metabolism booster.
- Get enough iron in your diet. Iron permits your blood to carry more oxygen to cells, which allows for a healthy metabolism. Kale is an excellent source of iron.
- Eat breakfast. They say it’s the most important meal of the day because it starts your metabolism, gives you energy, and wards off cravings. But what if you’re not a breakfast person? Keep it simple and light, like these 7 Make-Ahead Breakfast Smoothies to Help You Lose Weight.
- Snack. You’re bound to slow down your metabolism, or reach for unhealthy treats if you skimp on food, even if it seems counter-intuitive. Check out our SkinnyMs. Snack Round-Up.
- Avoid soda. You can’t argue with this one. High in sugar or fake sugar, it doesn’t matter. Research has found that even diet sodas work against your weight loss goals, promoting belly fat!
- Spice things up. If you like a little kick to your food, keep it coming! Spicy foods are a known metabolism booster.
- Boost your protein intake. Protein works wonders when it comes to burning fat, because it causes the digestive system to work harder, thus promoting calorie burn. Try these Quinoa Protein Bars for an on-the-go breakfast or snack. Top your lunchtime salad with salmon, and add legumes to your dinner.
Take on 4-minute workouts
No matter how much you don’t enjoy working out, can you really argue with a mere 4-minutes of activity? As research has found, it’s quality over quantity in terms of how long you run, or how many burpees you do.
So, if you’re finding it hard to get motivated, these exercises prove there really are simple ways to burn fat without spending countless hours in the gym.
- Beginner’s 4 Minute Fat Blaster Workout
A light set of dumbbells and a chair is all you need for this super quick fat blasting workout that beginners can tackle without feeling intimidated.
- 4 Minute Belly Fat Blaster
For a focus on your abs, this belly fat blaster is one effective workout that you can do anywhere.
- 4 Minute Fat Burning Tabata Workout
Tabata workouts are known for their fat burning effectiveness in record time. You’ll also burn fat for up to 24 hours after your 4 minutes are up.
- Inferno 4 Minute Fat Burn
Get the job done with only your body weight in this workout that is perfect for anyone who doesn’t like equipment, or who is stuck in their hotel room on a rainy day.
- Afternoon Burn 4 Minute Workout
With research proving sitting all day is terrible for us, get out of your desk chair come that 2pm slump and energize with this major fat burning quickie.