Who needs a tortilla?
The first time a ravenous burrito eater took a too large of a bite of her burrito, hungrily scooping up the spilled contents with her fork, the burrito bowl was born! The contents of a burrito are so scrumptious and perfectly blended when you get the right bite, so who needs a flour tortilla getting in the way of all of that flavor? This healthy burrito bowl is a much neater eating experience, and it also creates a meal with fewer unwanted carbs and calories.
Today, you can find burrito bowls at many restaurants, but that doesn’t mean they’re healthy. We created a healthy burrito bowl recipe that you can make at home! Not only does it shed its caloric tortilla, but the contents are cleaner, healthier, and fresher than anything you’ll find at a takeout restaurant. Serve this bowl up for lunch or dinner. It’s an easy and versatile meal you’ll whip up again and again!
Creating Healthier Burrito Bowls
Step one: ditch the white rice in favor of brown rice. The latter retains more of its fiber and nutrients than its processed, refined friend. Keeping the germ and the bran of the rice grain allows it to hold onto everything that makes it healthy. There’s no reason to eat foods that are stripped of their nutrients!
Then, we chose turkey, which is a leaner, white meat that adds protein without the excess fat and calories of certain cuts of red meat or pork. To add intense flavor to the turkey, we used our taco seasoning, which has less salt than the store-bought kind and no added chemicals or MSG. Finally, we removed the tortilla. It’s that easy to turn a comfort food meal into a healthy experience!
Meal Prepping These Bowls
This is one of our favorite meal prep bowls. It stores well in the refrigerator, so whip up a batch on Sunday and eat it all week long! If you want to make this recipe with leftover rice, you can simply omit the chicken broth and simmer the ingredients for 5 minutes, until the rice is warmed through. We will say that cooking the rice in with the other ingredients makes the bowl significantly creamier, though! You could also swap in cauliflower rice to make this a lower carb dish, or use quinoa to amp-up the protein.
It works well as a freezer meal, too! Simply let the rice component cool and place it in freezer-safe dishes or plastic bags. When you’re ready to eat, thaw it overnight in the refrigerator, reheat it on the stovetop or in the microwave, and garnish it with the cheese and remaining toppings. Simple and effective.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.
Skinny Burrito Bowls
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 cup brown rice uncooked (we used Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice)
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth fat-free
- 2 cups salsa no sugar added, divided
- 2 cups tomatoes diced, divided
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 3/4 cup corn kernels frozen or fresh
- 15 ounces black beans can, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese reduced-fat, grated
- 1/4 cup chives or green onions, fresh
- Over medium heat, in a skillet, cook the onion and ground turkey. The turkey should be cooked until it's no longer pink. Drain off any fat, then push the turkey to one side of the skillet. Add the rice and toast for about 1 minute.
- Add to the turkey and rice mixture: chicken broth, 1 cup salsa, 1 cup diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, corn, and the beans. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper. If it starts to dry up, just add a little more broth. Turn off the burner.
- Mix in the cheese. It will melt with the heat.
- Serve in individual bowls and garnish with the remaining tomatoes, salsa, and chives. You can also garnish it with fresh avocado, and lettuce.
- NOTE: If using long grain brown rice, it will need to be cooked in advance. Uncle Ben's 10 minute brown rice was used in this recipe.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Make sure to subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on Skinny Ms. Check out our Facebook page and follow us on Pinterest for tasty recipes, clean eating tips, and healthy lifestyle resources.