The first time a ravenous burrito eater took too large of a bite of her burrito, spilling its contents all over her plate, and hungrily scooped them up with her fork, the burrito bowl was born. The contents of a burrito are so scrumptious, so perfectly blended…who needs a flour tortilla getting in the way of all of that flavor? These days, burrito bowls are ubiquitous at burrito joints and Mexican restaurants, favorites of those who like a neater eating experience, or don’t want to add unwanted carbs and calories to their meal.
SkinnyMs. has whipped up a burrito bowl recipe that you can make at home! Not only does it shed its caloric tortilla, but the burrito bowl contents are cleaner, healthier, and more fresh than anything you’ll find at a takeout restaurant. Step one? We’ve ditched white rice in favor of brown rice, which retains more of its fiber and nutrients than its processed, refined friend. Retaining the germ and the bran of the rice grain allow it to hold onto everything that makes it healthy. There’s no reason to eat foods that are stripped of their nutrients!
Additionally, we’ve chosen turkey, a lean white meat that adds protein without the excessive fat and calories of certain cuts of red meat or pork. And our taco seasoning can’t be beat, with its unique blend of flavors. Serve this bowl up for lunch or dinner. It’s an easy and versatile meal you’ll whip up again and again!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 cup | Calories: 348 | Total Fat: 6 g | Saturated Fat: 1 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 29 mg | Sodium: 624 mg | Carbohydrates: 57 g | Dietary Fiber: 10 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 20 g | SmartPoints: 5
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 cup uncooked brown rice (Uncle Ben's Instant Brown Rice was used)
- 11/4 cup chicken broth, low-sodium and fat-free
- 2 cups salsa, no sugar added
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning (recipe for taco seasoning)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 3/4 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher or sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese, reduced-fat
- 1/4 cup fresh chives or green onions
- Over medium heat, in a skillet, cook the onion and ground turkey. The turkey should be cooked until it's no longer pink. Drain off any fat, then push the turkey to one side of the skillet. Add the rice and toast for about 1 minute.
- Add the broth, rice, 1 cup salsa, 1 cup diced tomatoes, taco seasoning, corn, and the beans. Bring to a boil then lower the heat and simmer for about 10-15 minutes, or until the rice is tender. Season with salt and pepper. If it starts to dry up, just add a little more broth. Turn off the burner.
- Mix in the cheese. It will melt with the heat.
- Serve in individual bowls and garnish with the remaining tomatoes, salsa, and chives. You can also garnish it with fresh avocado, and lettuce.
- NOTE: If using long grain brown rice, it will need to be cooked in advance. Uncle Ben's 10 minute brown rice was used in this recipe.
More burrito recipes to might like:
Make sure you subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss out anything on SkinnyMs.
We’d love to hear what you think. Leave us a comment in the comments section below.