A low-carb version of a Southwestern favorite!
Skip the high-calorie Mexican takeout and cook yourself an easy turkey burrito skillet instead. It has the Mexican flavors you love, including salsa, chili powder, and cumin. Since we’ve used whole-wheat tortillas and Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, it’s also healthier than buying a burrito. Ground turkey is a fantastic source of lean protein, as are black beans and Greek yogurt. You’ll also get your fiber in, thanks to the black beans and whole-wheat tortillas. The best part, though, is that the whole recipe takes less than 15 minutes to put together. Curb those burrito cravings healthily AND quickly!
Easy Turkey Burrito Skillet
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper (or crushed red pepper if you like it spicy!)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 cup chunky salsa no sugar added
- 15 ounces black beans can, drained and rinsed
- 4 whole-wheat flour tortillas 6 inch, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 cup cheddar cheese low-fat
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt plain
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- In a large skillet, cook the ground turkey until cooked through, breaking up the turkey into small pieces as it cooks. Stir in the chili powder, cumin, lime juice, salt, pepper, water, salsa, and beans. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Simmer for 3 to 5 minute, or until the sauce thickens.
- Remove from the heat and stir in tortilla strips and top with shredded cheese. Cover until cheese has melted. Top each serving with Greek yogurt and fresh cilantro. Serve and enjoy!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms