This healthy burrito will definitely satisfy your craving for junk food!
Whenever I’m in the mood for junk food, I usually reach for a burrito. There’s just something so satisfying about a crunchy tortilla wrapped around ooey, gooey, cheesy fillings! I know it’s not good for me, but I have a hard time stopping myself (especially when I’m running short on time). So, you can imagine my delight when I realized that this cheesy chicken avocado burrito wrap is actually super healthy. It’s a clean-eating version of my fast-food favorite, packed full of protein, all the good kinds of fat, and heart-healthy whole grains.
The whole-wheat tortillas are full of complex carbohydrates, which your body digests more slowly than simple carbohydrates. This means you’ll be full of lasting energy and won’t experience the same crash you get with white bread. You’ll also benefit from the fiber-rich, healthy-fat-filled avocados. In addition to providing your body with over 20 vitamins and minerals, the monounsaturated fats in avocado help you feel fuller and more satiated. That’s great, because you’ll be less likely to binge-snack on unhealthy foods when you feel full!
And then, there’s the unsung hero of this dish: the chicken. You can use any kind of chicken you like. Chicken breasts are the most lean option if you’re trying to keep your fat content low, but dark-meat chicken is always an option. Chicken thighs aren’t really as bad for you as some people think since they contain healthy, monounsaturated fats (like avocado!). It’s the skin that has most of the saturated fat, and we won’t be eating that anyway. The thighs are almost always less expensive at the grocery store, too, making that my go-to option.
THIS is Why I Love Leftover Chicken
There’s another way you can make this burrito quick and painless: leftovers! Really, this cheesy chicken avocado burrito wrap is a perfect example of why I love having leftover chicken on hand. Sometimes I’ll pick up an extra rotisserie chicken at the grocery store, and other times I use my slow cooker or Instant Pot to easily cook up a whole a chicken. It’s great to have a ready-to-eat protein on hand for recipes like this.
When you have leftover chicken, this dinner can be ready in as little as ten minutes. Yes, it only takes ten minutes! The chicken will heat through and the cheese will melt inside the wrap while the outside of the tortilla crisps up. And, since you have tasty avocado slices inside the wrap itself, you won’t even need to dip this burrito into a sauce. The avocado will be perfectly creamy and melt into the cheese, making this wrap perfect on its own.
You really can’t go wrong with this cheesy chicken avocado burrito wrap. It’s a healthier, clean-eating version of my favorite fast-food option, and it’s almost guaranteed to satisfy your junk-food cravings. My favorite way to enjoy it is to crisp it up in a skillet, but you can also pre-make these burritos and heat them up in the microwave at work. They’ll be missing that crunchy element, but they’ll still be just as tasty!
Cheesy Chicken Avocado Burrito Wrap
- 4 whole-wheat flour tortillas large
- 1 cup boneless and skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1/2 avocado peeled, pit removed, and sliced
- 1 cup cheddar cheese fat-free, shredded
- 1/4 cup cilantro fresh, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Place the flour tortillas on a flat surface. Divide the chicken between all four tortillas in place in a line down the center of each, leaving about 1/2 inch on each side.
- Place the avocado over the chicken, and top with the cheddar cheese. Sprinkle cilantro, cumin, and salt over top. Carefully fold in the sides and roll the tortillas into a burrito shape.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Once hot, place the burritos in the pan seam side down. Cook, for about 5 minutes, or until golden brown on the bottom. Flip the burritos and cook the second side for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. Cut in 1/2 and serve hot!
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms