Gourmet tacos, vegetarian tacos, fish tacos, and back-to-basics tacos are popping up on menus across the nation, and we’re on the bandwagon. We absolutely love tacos! And to honor our love for this savory, Mexican staple, we’ve conjured up our own low carb, low-calorie, clean eating version. Our Skinny Taco Lettuce Boats are inspired by the delightfully tasty lettuce cups and lettuce wraps we’ve seen appealing to health conscious diners at trendy restaurants. We thought we’d marry the taco and the lettuce wrap into one tasty treat.
We like to use ground turkey in our taco boats, as it is high in lean protein, and lacks the fat and cholesterol, not to mention the calories, of ground beef and pork. Add your turkey to your lettuce cups with your veggie mixture, flavored with a bit of soy sauce that adds a bit of the same Asian inspired flair as the lettuce cups do. And, of course, using lettuce instead of tortillas or wraps, allows you to regulate the calorie and carbohydrates this dish contains, and retains the same crunch we all adore in a traditional taco.
Hosting a dinner party? Prepare these as an appetizer! Or gather the family for a dinner of taco lettuce boats, served alongside our Skinny Mexican Quinoa. The lettuce boats are a fun addition to any dinner!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1 taco lettuce boat | Calories: 97 | Total Fat: 5 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 10 mg | Sodium: 138 mg | Carbohydrates: 9 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 4 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 3 |
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, minced, separated
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped, separated
- 11 ounces ground lean turkey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Ground pepper
- 6 lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 1/3 cup grated low-fat cheese
- Chives, finely chopped (optional)
- Over medium heat, in a saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, sautè half of the onoins and the garlic.
- Add half of the tomatoes after one minute.
- Add the turkey then season with the soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Toss until cooked through. Turn off the fire.
- Using the lettuce as the bowls, distribute the turkey, remaining tomatoes and onions then the cheese. Garnish with the chives if using.
More Taco Recipes:
Shrimp Tacos with Sweet & Tangy Slaw
Skinny Chicken Tacos with Guacamole
Easy Butternut Squash Tacos
Cheesy Skillet Bean & Veggie Taco
Grilled Chicken and Avocado Tacos with Cilantro
We constantly update SkinnyMs. Subscribe to our newsletter so you don’t miss anything.
It is always a pleasure to hear from our readers. Tell us what you think in the comments section below.