While many taco salad recipes are topped with full fat cheese, rich sour cream, and fried tortillas, our version is full of southwest flavor, made with wholesome, clean ingredients like ground turkey and fresh tomatoes. Layer these in a jar with an easy homemade salsa avocado dressing for a quick taco salad in a jar that you can take with you to work, or store in the fridge for an quick meal.
*includes the dressing Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/4 cup (fits well in a pint-sized jar) | Calories: 196 | Total Fat: 12 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 48 mg | Sodium: 469 mg | Carbohydrates: 9 g | Dietary Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 15 g | SmartPoints: 3 |
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup whole grain tortilla chips, broken
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, reduced-fat
- 3 cups chopped romaine lettuce
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa, no sugar added
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons ripe, mashed avocado
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Heat a skillet over medium heat and add the turkey. Cook until turkey is no longer pink and cooked through. Add spices, stir to combine and transfer to a bowl and let cool.
- To make the salad, divide the tortilla chips between six jars. Layer each with the salsa, turkey mixture, tomatoes, lettuce, and cheese.
- Make the optional dressing by blending the yogurt, avocado, lime juice, and salsa in a blender. Blend until creamy and smooth. Top the salad with the dressing, seal the jars and store in the fridge until ready to eat. Eat within 1-2 days for best results.