These chicken enchiladas are sure to be a hit with your whole family!
Flavorful chicken wrapped in tortillas and smothered in a rich, creamy sauce sounds like a dieter’s nightmare, but it doesn’t have to be! Our Skinny White Chicken Enchiladas are our version of creamy enchiladas. We added seasoning to shredded chicken and wrapped it in whole wheat or corn tortillas, then topped with a homemade cream sauce and reduced fat cheese. We’ve lowered the fat content without sacrificing that rich texture that makes creamy enchiladas so great!
These chicken enchiladas are sure to be a hit with your whole family! Serve with a side of our Restaurant Style Mexican Rice and some veggies for a filling and balanced meal.
Skinny White Chicken Enchiladas
- 2 cups shredded chicken breast cooked
- 1 teaspoon cumin divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup salsa no sugar added, optional verde sauce
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican style cheese reduced-fat, shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth fat-free
- 4 ounces diced green chiles can
- 8 ounces sour cream container, reduced-fat
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 whole grain flour tortillas 6-inch, optional corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup cilantro finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine shredded chicken breast with, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, chili powder, and salsa. Evenly distribute chicken mixture over center of tortillas, roll and place seam side down in a 9 x 13-inch casserole pan. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat and sprinkle in flour. Cook for 1 minute while stirring continuously. Slowly pour in chicken broth. Stir until mixture starts to thickened, about 6 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 cup cheese, green chiles, sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour white sauce over enchiladas, sprinkle on 1/2 cup cheese and bake 25 minutes, or until cheese is lightly golden. Sprinkle chopped cilantro over enchiladas.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
How did this dish turn out for you? We’d love to hear from you in the comments!