Flavorful chicken wrapped in tortillas and smothered in a rich, creamy sauce sounds like a dieter’s nightmare, but it doesn’t have to be! Our Skinny White Chicken Enchiladas are our version of creamy enchiladas. We added seasoning to shredded chicken and wrapped it in whole wheat or corn tortillas, then topped with a homemade cream sauce and reduced fat cheese. We’ve lowered the fat content without sacrificing that rich texture that makes creamy enchiladas so great!
These chicken enchiladas are sure to be a hit with your whole family! Serve with a side of our Restaurant Style Mexican Rice and some veggies for a filling and balanced meal.
Yields: 8 (6-inch) enchiladas | Serving Size: 1 enchilada | Calories: 316 | Total Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 62mg | Sodium: 380mg | Carbohydrates: 24g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Protein: 18g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 12
- 2 cups (cooked) shredded chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon cumin, divided
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup salsa, no sugar added (optional verde sauce)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican Style Cheese, reduced-fat
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth, fat-free
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chiles
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream, reduced-fat
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 8 (6-inch) whole grain flour tortillas, optional corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine shredded chicken breast with, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, chili powder, and salsa. Evenly distribute chicken mixture over center of tortillas, roll and place seam side down in a 9 x 13-inch casserole pan. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium heat and sprinkle in flour. Cook for 1 minute while stirring continuously. Slowly pour in chicken broth. Stir until mixture starts to thickened, about 6 minutes. Add 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 1 cup cheese, green chiles, sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir until cheese is melted.
- Pour white sauce over enchiladas, sprinkle on 1/2 cup cheese and bake 25 minutes, or until cheese is lightly golden. Sprinkle chopped cilantro over enchiladas.
How did this dish turn out for you? We’d love to hear from you in the comments!