Make yourself something extra special for breakfast! You deserve it! Though it’s easy to think you’re limited to eggs, oatmeal, yogurt and smoothies for breakfast, this simple slow cooker recipe shakes up the morning meal with a diner inspired dish gone healthy!
Slice a whole wheat baguette, top with a creamy custard sauce and bake in a crockpot with banana slices and a sprinkling of chopped pecans. Once cooked through, all you have to do is scoop this scrumptiously sweet french toast into your plate and drizzle with pure maple syrup, agave or fresh berry sauce.
This recipe is ideal for brunch or holiday breakfast. It comes together quick and is a total crowd pleaser!
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 2 slices of toast | Calories: 273 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 5 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Sodium: 173 mg | Cholesterol: 124 mg | Carbohydrates: 42 g | Fiber: 2 g | Sugars: 25 g | Protein: 7 g | SmartPoints: 12
- 12 (1" thick) slices whole wheat baguette
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1/2 lemon, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Pure maple syrup (for serving)
- Spray a 5-7 quart slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray. Arrange baguette slices on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, coconut sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. Drizzle over the baguette slices, making sure to cover each slice completely with the egg mixture.
- In a mixing bowl, drizzle banana slices with fresh lemon juice, tossing to coat. Place banana slices atop baguettes in the slow cooker. Drizzle with melted coconut oil, sprinkle with pecans. Cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-5 hours, or until cooked through.
- Cooking times with vary with different cookers, so begin to check your slow cooker at the 3 hour mark and allow to cook just until the bread begins to turn golden brown around the edges.
- Drizzle lightly with pure maple syrup to serve.