All you need is a crockpot and a few ingredients to whip up these mouthwatering Slow Cooker Carnitas! Crockpots are a must-have in any busy cook’s kitchen. They cook low and slow for an aromatic meal bursting with juicy flavors, and require very little work on your end.
These hearty carnitas are a snap to make and downright delicious, whether stuffed in whole-wheat tortillas or sprinkled on salad. The traditional way to cook carnitas involves frying and braising the meat. Using a slow cooker slashes a boatload of calories and ups the meal’s nutritional value. Vitamin-rich spices and garnishes like fresh squeezed lime juice, oregano, and cumin dress up the tasty meat.
Whether you’re hunting for a filling or simply craving a protein-packed salad addition, look no further than these tender, fall-apart pork carnitas!
Yields: 10 servings | Calories: 343 | Total Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Trans Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 97mg | Sodium: 305mg | Carbohydrates: 5g | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Protein: 24g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 11
- 1 (3-pound) pork shoulder
- 2 medium yellow onions, peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lime juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Add the pork to the slow cooker. Nestle the onions and garlic around it. Whisk the orange juice, lime juice, and seasonings together and pour over the meat. Add enough water to cover meat about halfway. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. When pork is done, shred with 2 forks.
- Serve in taco shells, burritos, sandwich rolls, or over rice.
Love the recipe? Hungry for more? Let us know! Leave a comment below.