Spice up your dinner with a clean & delicious casserole.
Spice up dinner the healthy way! Our quick & easy Mexican-inspired casserole is filled with all the flavors you might expect, but with a healthy twist. Enjoy this Black Bean Casserole without the extra calories found in many traditional Mexican dishes. Our recipe has bumped up the protein without adding meat. Did you know that having one or two meatless dinners each week can have many health benefits? Flexitarians still enjoy meat while eating more plant based foods. It is possible to lower your risk of developing heart disease, some types of cancer, diabetes, and more, simply by cutting back on meat consumption.
Healthy Mexican Black Bean Casserole
- 30 ounces black beans cans, drained
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth low-sodium
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 whole-grain tortillas 8-inch, cut or torn into bite-size pieces
- 12 ounces salsa no added sugar
- 1 cup Mexican-style cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup jalapeños sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- In a large bowl, combine beans, broth, chili powder, cumin, pepper, and salt.
- In approximately a 3-quart casserole pan, layer the pan with about 1/4 bean mixture, 1/4 salsa, 1/4 tortilla pices, and 1/4 cheese. Continue layering until all the ingredients have been used, retaining the Jalapeños and 1/4 cheese for the top.
- Cover casserole with foil and bake approximately 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove foil, and continue cooking 10 minutes.
- Optional garnishes: fresh cilantro, Greek yogurt, or sour cream.
Have you made this recipe?
Tag @skinnyms on Instagram or hashtag it #skinnyms
Have a recipe idea to share? Let us know! We love hearing from our readers.