Slow Cooker Chicken Curry is full of root vegetables, chickpeas, green peas, and creamy coconut milk. Tender chicken and curry, cumin, and cilantro add to the deliciousness of this easy dish.
You’ll love the Indian flavor, and feel like you are at a restaurant, but you can create this fabulous dish at home in the slow cooker. Once you step in the door following a long day out and about, you will be greeted with the heavenly smells coming from this nourishing curry dish, and it might just become a favorite. Serve it alone or over brown rice, or basmati rice. It would even be delicious over soba (buckwheat) noodles.
*This recipe was contributed by Corelyn and Jennie from Garlic My Soul. They are East Coasters who moved West in hopes of adventuring along the Pacific coast, learning a bit about avocados and citrus, and enjoying year-round seventy degree weather. They started Garlic, My Soul in 2009 to bring real food into everyone’s kitchens and to empower anyone to cook anything they set their mind to. You can also find them on Facebook and Pinterest.
Yields: 9 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/4 cups | Calories: 309 | Total Fat: 11 g | Saturated Fat: 8 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 543 mg | Carbohydrates: 39 g | Dietary Fiber: 7 g | Sugars: 6 g | Protein: 18 g | SmartPoints: 11
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
- 4- 6 small red potatoes, cubed
- 4 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 3- 4 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup green peas, frozen
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, optional
- Minimum slow cooker size: 5 Quarts
- Mix together coconut milk, chicken stock, tomato paste, curry powder, salt, cumin, and cayenne. Add chicken breasts, onion, chickpeas, carrots, tomatoes, and potatoes. Cook on high for 4 hours. Add frozen peas, lemon juice, and fresh ginger during the last 10 minutes of cooking. Or, if you do not plan to serve right away add these last ingredients while the slow cooker is set to warm.
For more delicious recipes, check out the SkinnyMs. Recipe Collection.