This is one of our favorite slow cooker recipes when we want to make a warm, hearty, healthy soup. All of the things we love about fajitas and about tortilla soup come together in this bowl. Red bell pepper strips, crispy olive-oil baked whole wheat or corn tortilla strips, and chicken are slow-cooked with onions and garlic in a mildly zesty and savory chicken broth.
We add just a little bit of paprika and cayenne pepper in the beginning of cook time to infuse the broth with their flavor, but if you are serving kids, you can just add the sprinkle of paprika and no cayenne pepper.
Adding a squeeze of lime juice to the finished soup adds just the right amount of acidity and freshness. Topping this soup with crunchy tortilla strips and creamy avocado slices make it extra yummy!
To make this soup more hearty, add frozen corn kernels and/or drained and rinsed black beans at the beginning of cook time. Shredded reduced fat cheese such as mild Cheddar or Colby can also top soup in the bowls, along with the other toppings.
Yields: 6 servings | Serving Size: 1-1/2 cups | Calories: 272 | Total Fat: 9 g | Saturated Fat: 2 g | Trans Fat: 0 g | Cholesterol: 39 mg | Sodium: 580 mg | Carbohydrates: 30 g | Dietary Fiber: 6 g | Sugars: 3 g | Protein: 21 g | SmartPoints (Freestyle): 7
- 6 cups homemade or low sodium chicken stock
- 3 chicken breasts, skin removed and cut into strips
- 5 whole wheat or corn tortillas, cut into strips or store bought baked tortilla strips or chips (Recipe for Homemade Whole Grain Tortillas
- 2 bell peppers, seeded, stemmed, and diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro
- 1/2 cup nonfat sour cream or nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 avocado sliced
- To make your own tortilla strips:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place tortilla strips on nonstick baking sheet and lightly coat with olive oil cooking spray. Sprinkle on salt and pepper and bake for approximately 20 minutes, until crispy and golden.
- Add chicken, chicken stock, minced garlic, diced onion and bell peppers to the slow cooker along with the spices, salt and pepper, and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours, or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve topped with baked tortilla strips or chips, nonfat sour cream or Greek yogurt, cilantro, and avocado slices.
Like what you see? Don’t miss out on the latest and greatest from SkinnyMs. Be sure to subscribe to our newsletter.